Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I’m looking for my first boat and I’m thinking of a 16’ to 20’ skiff. So far the Carolina and mako skiffs have been what I’ve been researching. So far on this site I’ve read some interesting things about the mako pro skiff. I look forward to posting with y’all. Thanks, paul

·
Carpe Diem
1,736 Posts
The boat you own should depend on where and how you fish. What species do you target? Do you fish flats or bays or venture offshore? How far will you normally run and how many passengers will you carry? Is the bottom rock or mud or sand where you operate? What's your budget? Mako skiffs don't get a lot of love on this site, but we all have our prejudices. Getting your money back out a a new Mako or Carolina Skiff when it comes time to sell will be difficult. There are other names that will resell a lot more profitably.

Some advice no matter what boat you choose. Buy used and let someone else take the initial hit. Don't be seduced by easy financing. The best deal is almost always from a private seller. Do your research and start small and learn. Chances are your first boat won't be your last.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boat you own should depend on where and how you fish. What species do you target? Do you fish flats or bays or venture offshore? How far will you normally run and how many passengers will you carry? Is the bottom rock or mud or sand where you operate? What's your budget? Mako skiffs don't get a lot of love on this site, but we all have our prejudices. Getting your money back out a a new Mako or Carolina Skiff when it comes time to sell will be difficult. There are other names that will resell a lot more profitably.

Some advice no matter what boat you choose. Buy used and let someone else take the initial hit. Don't be seduced by easy financing. The best deal is almost always from a private seller. Do your research and start small and learn. Chances are your first boat won't be your last.
Thanks for that advice, I live in lake placid Fl and some lakes can get fairly shallow. I will be fishing mostly bass and speck. I don’t plan on more than two people on the boat. My wife will occasionally be joining me so I would like to get a sturdy boat with at least one fairly comfortable seat for her. I guess if I don’t make it comfortable she won’t join me, lol,,,,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts