Powerpole on HB Guide 18

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by K3anderson, Apr 17, 2014.

1. K3anderson

K3anderson I Love microskiff.com!

I have a early 2k's Guide and am thinking about adding a power pole. This one has the hatches in the sponsons. It appears the trim tab wires were drilled through the sponson liner right from the factory as its all original. Is this what people have done for the power pole also? There is no other access that I can see.

Secondly, which PP do you recommend? The 6 or 8? Really hoping to hear from someone with a Guide or similar. Curious how it affects the poling/draft, etc.

Thirdly, why SHOULDN'T I get a PP? I'm on the fence, but, fly alone now and again and its annoying trying to set the pole all the time.

THNX.

2. bw510

bw510 I Love microskiff.com!

I can't answer your install question but I will say it won't effect the draft.i won one in a raffle and would have never bought one but now that I have it I love it. Mine is the 6ft model and it's rare that I would ever anchor deeper than that for fishing but I guess it doesn't hurt to have two more feet

3. Godzuki86

Godzuki86 FlounderPounder

It really depends on where you fish on what size to get. I have a 6 footer and wish I had 8 footers sometimes. The cost isn't different in the beginning. I'd probably go with 8 foot models unless the boat NEVER sees water deeper than 6'

To answer your questions as why not to buy one, I don't see why you wouldn't want one. I will never have another boat without one (well with out 2 ;D)

Andy

4. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

I have a 2001 guide with a 6 ft power pole. I ran the hoses out of the rigging well. If you pm me your email I send a few pictures.

5. sickz284u

sickz284u The redfish whisperer!

If you need a power pole longer then 6 foot you are no longer fishing in the flats.... ;)

6. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

I am pretty sure I have seen a bracket that attaches to the motor mount and you wont have to drill into the transom.

I'd get one for sure.

7. Kane_Thorp

Kane_Thorp I Love catching reds!!

I recently put 2 8ft sig series on my boat. I don't know how I caught many fish without them! They are a huge advantage.

8. langtown

langtown I Love microskiff.com!

I have one on a 2002 HB Marquesa on older models like ares the hull will need to be reinforced where the power pole is mounted.

I would not recommend go over 6ft it will get in the way while poling your skiff.

I didn't really notice a change in draft

I would say 80 percent of the time I stake down with my push pole and if I didn't do charters I probably wouldn't have one on my skiff. I only use the power pole in certain situations where I know I will be in a spot for a long time and the bottom is to hard for my push pole. its also alot easier than using an anchor especially with clients on the skiff.

Hope this helps
    Mike Lansdon

9. DBStoots

DBStoots I Love microskiff.com!

Call PowerPole and ask about installation on your skiff--they are awesome folks to work with and I'm sure they'll be happy to help. I have a 6' on my Maverick HPX 17 and it is more than adequate in most situations. Like another person said, if you need more than 6' you're not fishing the flats!