Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my micro-anchor has two completely distinct personalities.

In my garage the thing works flawlessly. Both of my remotes tested and work from over 30ft away no problem (boat is a 17ft), all is well.

However, when out fishing i have to be within a few feet for the remote to work. I have changed the batteries, checked the wiring, everything i can think of but i cannot replicate the issue at home. However, none of the wiring or even the unit itself is wet when i am out fishing, dry as a bone even after running across the bay. the whole thing is bizarre.

New batteries in the remotes too. The only difference is i suppose the ambient heat of the sun/etc? but then it still works if i move close to it when out on the water.

Any ideas at all? how else can i test for the problem? i am at a loss. I talked to powerpole and they shrugged and said i could attempt a warranty replacement, but if they find its ok then i have to pay full price for the new one - which im not sure i would want if this is normal. ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Every PP micro I've heard about in salt water has issues. I'll stay with the stick it pole.

Only thing I can think of is water getting into the unit somehow and causing issues. Or with the heat it's causing a wire to swell enough that you lose good contact somewhere in the circuit. Can you pull the unit apart and check for moisture after your next trip?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
389 Posts
If you're attempting to operate the anchor from the front of the skiff while on the water, how many electronic devices are powered up between you (the remote) and the anchor motor that could cause interference, i.e. shorten the effective range of the remote?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
how else can i test for the problem?
I would start with downloading the app and updating the firmware. Pair the remotes. If you still have issues then unplug everything from power expect the power pole and start adding things back until you start getting interference. Blutooth pair your phone and see if that changes function.

How old is the battery where it draws power? Is your starting battery powering the power pole? I've seen power poles do strange things with low voltage condition. The receiver doesn't like low voltage.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
Sorry for your issues.
Every PP micro I've heard about in salt water has issues. I'll stay with the stick it pole.

Only thing I can think of is water getting into the unit somehow and causing issues. Or with the heat it's causing a wire to swell enough that you lose good contact somewhere in the circuit. Can you pull the unit apart and check for moisture after your next trip?
I would not say all PP Micros have issues in saltwater. I personally have used one for many years and love it! I also know others in the Tampa area that love it as well and we all fish in some of the worst saltwater conditions. Good luck getting it figured out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had similar issues until I replaced my trolling/power pole battery. In the garage it is probably fully charged out on the water battery is in use/low and my micro had all kinds of issues. New battery and it works great.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I have 3 of them, 2 that I put on my larger skiff in 2012 or 13. 1 that came on my smaller skiff when I bought it in I think 2014. all work just fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know they probably want to make sure you do some legitimate testing and fault tracing before sending it back, but knowing how well they do customer service I doubt they would ever charge you full price for an exchange that they "tested" and found working.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yep I went through 5 of them before I figured out that I was spraying them too hard with the hose. They sent me new ones next day no questions asked.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yep I went through 5 of them before I figured out that I was spraying them too hard with the hose. They sent me new ones next day no questions asked.
I recently purchased a used one and have been spraying the heck out of mine trying to circumvent any problems... So is a light gently rinse so you aren’t forcing water where it doesn’t belong what’s needed? Care to elaborate on what your learned and how you came to that conclusion?
Thanks

·
Registered
930 Posts
I recently purchased a used one and have been spraying the heck out of mine trying to circumvent any problems... So is a light gently rinse so you aren’t forcing water where it doesn’t belong what’s needed? Care to elaborate on what your learned and how you came to that conclusion?
Thanks
Yes a light spray rinse on the outside. And I let water free flow while in the up position on the rollers. Never spray inside. And I always keep the plug connected while spraying the outside. I also use dielectric grease on the connections.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks
Oh and how I came to that conclusion is after the 4th on I ha replaced I asked them why I was having so many issues. They told me that all of them had circuit board issues due to water intrusion. After that I started being more gentle with the hose and making sure the connections stayed dry and never had a problem with the 5th one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Th
Oh and how I came to that conclusion is after the 4th on I ha replaced I asked them why I was having so many issues. They told me that all of them had circuit board issues due to water intrusion. After that I started being more gentle with the hose and making sure the connections stayed dry and never had a problem with the 5th one.
thanks, very helpful. I had been spraying the heck out of the hole through the center... guess I should have approached the way I do my fishing reels with a light flow so you aren’t forcing water in where it hadn’t been getting in the first place.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Th

thanks, very helpful. I had been spraying the heck out of the hole through the center... guess I should have approached the way I do my fishing reels with a light flow so you aren’t forcing water in where it hadn’t been getting in the first place.
Exactly!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts