Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
will pole for food
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you rigged up your GPS units to work indoors or when you're away from your boat?

Will I only need a second power cord, some alligator clips and a deer feeder battery? or are there any other options?

I'd like to be able to scout around on the GPS unit for routes and areas of interest before a trip, and not be too far from the beer fridge...or sitting on the boat getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.

I have the Lowrance Live 9

Thanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
X2 on what jm said, that is the only way to go. I have used one for my Lowrance, and now my new Hummingbird. All you need is an extra power supply to hook up to the 110/12v converter. Unless you have the one you use in the boat set up where you can remove and reinstall, but this would be more hassell.

This is the adapter I am using, but as jm said a laptop charger may work as well, just be sure it converts to 12v.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-Certified-110V-240V-Adapter-Converter/dp/B000P7O5DG

Reactions: TDC1626

·
BBA Counselor
6,894 Posts
Isn't there a computer interface or app you can use to look around and create routes. Then just wifi them to the unit?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Look around your house and find all the 12 volt converters you have laying around from old electronic components (DVR's, printers, computers, battery chargers,etc.) I found a 12 volt/2amp converter from an old Tivo box and spliced it into a power cable to my Garmin GPS. It works great, and I am able to operate the GPS while sitting at my desk.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I run a combo unit off a small 12v battery on a
20190218_093640.jpg
small skiff and kayaks that i got at a batteries plus store. It was handy when playing around with the chartplotter on the kitchen table.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,694 Posts
I use a Nocqua lithium battery for mine. Not just at home, all the time. It's attached to the back of the GPS and works for several days.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
I don't know anything about the Lowrance, but for my older Garmin unit I just downloaded a program to my computer. I can create waypoints and paths and everything, then just copy it to an SD card and upload that to the GPS unit on the boat. Is there nothing like that for the Lowrance?

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Isn't there a computer interface or app you can use to look around and create routes. Then just wifi them to the unit?
The Navionics maps have this capability through the Navionics app but you have to use their Navionics mapping card for it to work. Not sure about other imaging cards.

The Navico Link app might work. It's worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
You can do this on google earth and save the file and save to an sd/microsd card. GPS babble can convert any format to any other format to enable you to download it to your gps in the event that your gps can't read the file saved directly from google earth.

I also have a standalone 12v converter and an extra power cord cor my Simrad. Both approaches work. This method just lets you do it without having to take your gps off your skiff. Which is certainly no big deal BUT. If you remove your gps unit for any reason be very careful. The pin connectors all the manufacturers use are not the most robust pins in the world. Bend one and you'll be in a mess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts