Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Not trying to imply the vessel was at fault here.** Looks like good old-fashioned poor judgment. Two guys on an oversized paddleboard in that breeze? Props to the tow boat guy, though, for getting down there and fishing them out in a deep vee. Tough anytime, but even more so with muddy water and a stiff wind.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2544620545751888&type=3

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 9.19.31 AM.png

50502886_2544620939085182_8762563681406943232_o.jpg

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
ML can get dicey. People underestimate it all the time.

I've seen capsized gheenoes out there a few times.

These new 'one man skiff' fake-boat things with no freeboard are just asking for trouble as theyre only capable of fairweather fishing.

G

·
I think they are cool little fishing platforms/ transportation that do have a good intended use! This was operator error and/or just poor judgement imho!

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,030 Posts
No thanks, Bote rover + outboard + fuel+ two guys on top. I don't ever go out in 20+ MPH winds. That sounds miserable. Plus if you found one of those floating blobs outs there on that thing you may actually go air-borne.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Glad they are ok. That could have ended in a worst case scenario. I was surprised to see Bote advertising with two adults on board in their literature.

·
Registered
346 Posts
They're trying to tempt paddlers who don't want the full commitment of a real boat...
I chalk it up to BOTE's great advertising, only way I can think of they convince people to buy the Rover for $3500 instead of a skiff or Gheenoe. Great job by all involved in the rescue, should be a good learning experience for the kids rescued.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,034 Posts
There’s a place down here called San Luis Pass and people die there about once a month in everything from kayaks to bay boats. People are ignorant. This is why there should be a course you must take, pass a test and pay an annual fee to run a boat. These days people have more money than sense and think that they can do anything they see on YouTube with no previous experience.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,793 Posts
This is why I get agitated with hype-marketing and overestimation of wave size. Some people just don't know better, and unfortunately they can get hurt or killed.

I'm not that old, but I'm old enough to feel that the internet is a tremendous contributor to this type of behavior. It's so common for people to thump their chest and lie about doing irresponsible things to make themselves feel tough, and those that are trying to learn get their "information" from these fools, since that information is so readily available.

So, they see the ad with 2 people on basically a surfboard, and they see the forecast of 1-2 ft, and remember that everyone on the internet can run through measly 2-3 footers at 40mph without a drop of spray (so 1-2 must be basically glass, right?), and they go and get themselves in a bad situation.

Off the soapbox now. It's so easy to blame the guys out there for their stupid mistake (and no doubt it was a stupid mistake), but I know I sure did some dumb, risky stuff without the internet tough guys telling me how easy it was going to be. I shudder to imagine if I had tried to learn the ropes with the invincibility of a teenager plus a wildly skewed sense of confidence based on internet talk.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts