Power Trim Question.

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by fishgitr, Apr 11, 2010.

1. fishgitr

fishgitr Well-Known Member

I have an 2007 40hp merc. When running W.O.T the trim gets to a certian spot and pushes back down. Is this normal. The fluid is full. Thanks for the help.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Normal

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I understand the problem. If it won't hold the setting in the trim range the by pass valve (screw) might not be tight or it could be leaking.

Frank_S

4. fishgitr

when trimming the motor up at wot it goes up to a certian point and wont go past that point. it pushes its self back down. all screws and plugs are tight.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

As I posted before "Normal"

Trim functions when engine is running, to adjust thrust angle.
    Tilt only has enough push to deal with a stopped outboard.
    Trying to use tilt when in gear doesn't push any farther than the max trim angle.

That's why the option is called "Trim'n'Tilt"... ;)

6. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

That motor uses a single ram for both trim and tilt, and Brett's right on, the useable trim range is tough enough to lift the engine under power, but the tilt range is not.  You are simply reaching the top of the trim range. 

With the engine off or not under power, it tilts up just fine, right?

7. fishgitr

I wasnt doubting you Brett i just tried to reclarify. Sorry. Called Merc. and they said it was a safety feature. Thanks for the help and input. Guess im gonna have to raise the plate more to get it where i want it.