Power Trim and Tilt leaking

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by swaddict, Jul 11, 2012.

1. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

on my 60hp 2 stroke yammi, I noticed fluid leaking out of one of the pistons. Actually created a nice little puddle, I'm assuming an o-ring is leaking. Is this an easy fix or more to it?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

It's a hydraulic piston. As seals wear they leak.
    The factory shop manual shows how to do the rebuild.
    Includes pictures and tools needed to complete job correctly.

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

You will need the right size spanner wrench. One seal and one wiper.
    Also inspect piston for pitting or scratches, as those are what hurt the seal 90% of the time, and will destroy new seals as well. Also a decent understanding of the trim system is needed when filling it back up, or you can burn it up.

4. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

Thanks guys, what size spanner wrench and is that something I can get at an auto parts store

5. cutrunner

Honestly i dont know what size spanner wrench it needs cuz i have the yamaha tool..
    And ive never seen a spanner wrench at any auto parts store. I think you might have to get it off of a snap on truck.

6. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I'm going to say take it to a shop, Trim and Tilt systems can be very difficult to work on. I am a factory trained marine technician and I probably hate trim systems the most.

7. cutrunner

Oh come on.. Trim systems are fun! Especially showas!

8. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

decided to drop it off, the spanner wrench was going to run me $70 - 80 (for the 4 prong), ended up costing me $123 to get both pistons serviced with new seals/o rings, thx for the advice