Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to throw it out there, my pp micro went out 2 months in - called up JL Marine this morning and the first thing they said is that if it's not working, they can ship a new unit out today and I'll get it tomorrow. Then he had me check voltage just to be sure it wasn't the wiring. I know, some will say it shouldn't have gone bad after 2 months and that they suck. But you can tell they have a culture of taking care of the customer and I respect that. i believe in sharing whenever i come across great service.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Just had to throw it out there, my pp micro went out 2 months in - called up JL Marine this morning and the first thing they said is that if it's not working, they can ship a new unit out today and I'll get it tomorrow. Then he had me check voltage just to be sure it wasn't the wiring. I know, some will say it shouldn't have gone bad after 2 months and that they suck. But you can tell they have a culture of taking care of the customer and I respect that. i believe in sharing whenever i come across great service.
Same here, took off last trip without pulling pole up and ripped the whole thing off the bracket and they sent me a new one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Lol thread title: “boat stays in neutral while in full forward gear?”

Not saying they are not convenient because they def are but I feel that multiple accounts of taking a product back multiple times defines some product flaws

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Because they are used in marine environments by idiots like me that try to hole shot with the spike deployed. Power Poles are probably the most used and abused boat accessory.
I was going to say it, but you admitted it and beat me too it. That would be easy to do I suppose. They don’t make an auto retract feature when key turns on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will add to this. I have one of the original Power Poles for my boat, (with a hand scribbed serial number). I recently took my Action Craft 1720 down for a complete refit. I was on the fence about replacing the Power Pole or rebuilding it, decided to strip it and powercoat it. Ordered all the parts to rebuild it. They shipped it out, but the shipment got lost, I contacted them and they next dayed all new parts. Great service! Rebuild mine last night after powdercoating and it looks good as new!

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Lol thread title: “boat stays in neutral while in full forward gear?”

Not saying they are not convenient because they def are but I feel that multiple accounts of taking a product back multiple times defines some product flaws
If you think Power Poles suck you must have never dealt with a Minn Kota Talon. I have been on a boat with one and all 5 times it broke, hundreds of trips and once a Power Pole broke due to mechanical failure and once due to operator error.
I know lots of people seem to have had issues with the Micro having corrosion issues but mine was 4 years old and it took me dunking it to kill it. I hope the replacement isn’t a lemon or I’ll be going with a simple rope and spike rig.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you think Power Poles suck you must have never dealt with a Minn Kota Talon. I have been on a boat with one and all 5 times it broke, hundreds of trips and once a Power Pole broke due to mechanical failure and once due to operator error.
I know lots of people seem to have had issues with the Micro having corrosion issues but mine was 4 years old and it took me dunking it to kill it. I hope the replacement isn’t a lemon or I’ll be going with a simple rope and spike rig.
I haven’t but guessing that is why power pole has the majority of the market share. I would love one for my boat specifically the micro but everyone I know that has them has had multiple issues. Owning two boats gives me enough problems don’t need to add to it lol

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
K. I. S. S. “ Keep it simple ,stupid” Or in our pc world ,” keep it stupid simple”
Never had a pp ,always wanted one. ( or think I do ) cost is biggest problem for me. grew up staking out w saplings. Whats the biggest advantage ? Set up time ? Some boats have two , I guess to keep from spinning . I have also seen boats on the tm while the PP is deployed. Did they forget or is this a style ?

·
Registered
2018 Ankona Cayenne
87 Posts
Using a Power Pole in conjunction with a trolling motor keeps you oriented in the desired direction you want to fish an edge or bar. I use my Micro and trolling motor concurrently to help hold me exactly the direction I want to be. I have seen some large center consoles running with a rooster tail off the back due to failing to stow it while underway. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Using a Power Pole in conjunction with a trolling motor keeps you oriented in the desired direction you want to fish an edge or bar. I use my Micro and trolling motor concurrently to help hold me exactly the direction I want to be. I have seen some large center consoles running with a rooster tail off the back due to failing to stow it while underway. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I’ve seen guys doing the same but running with the trolling motor deployed. Shit happens but sometimes it’s either behind your back or right in front of you.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Most product's built anymore are not built to last. Most companies do that on purpose so they can make a new sale when the product fails. Here you have a company that doesn't ask questions and play games they just replace the product. How does it get any better than that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought and had the original Power Pole Micro installed by Beavertail
I went through 3 Power Pole Micro's in 18 months, after the 3rd Micro broke I called Power Pole and said I could not keep coming back every 6 month's to change out my micro.
I asked if they would apply what I spent on the original micro to a new Power Pole purchase. Bingo, they gave me a credit of $599 plus tax towards a new 8 foot Pro 2 series power pole.
They did not have to do that. But because of good customer service they did do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts