Post what tackle box you're using.

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by CodyW, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CodyW

CodyW Well-Known Member

2. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

I bought the medium sized one for about $80 at BPS
    Its the best tackle box I've ever owned
    The rubber feet keep it planted and the bag stays dry with the plastic bottom

I put one of these under the bungee and still on top of the spare storage tray
    http://www.basspro.com/Plano-LiquaBait-Locker-Bottle/product/10211186/

The only complaint I have about it is the shoulder strap is huge and that will sit on the deck. Its also mounted below the top zipper which made opening and closing a PIA. I removed the comfort strap and adjusted the strap to more of a carry handle. I also clipped it above the zipper and now its more functional.

Prior to that I was using one of the mini Planos that I had for many years. It could only hold 3 of the small trays. I also had a quantum book for spoons a jigs.

CodyW likes this.
  3. g8rfly

g8rfly I Love microskiff.com!

what he said. Was gifted this box and it's excellent. It's quite large but i love that it's raised of the floor and the rubber feet it stays put like a yeti. Well thought out compartments and holds a phenomenal amount of gear if you don't mind the size.

CodyW likes this.
  4. tailchaser16

tailchaser16 Well-Known Member

upload_2017-4-20_15-46-36.png

Fits 3 Plano boxes, tube of sunscreen, Donnmar cutters in a sheath, sunglasses in a case all in the main pocket .
    2 spools of leader line on side pocket
    1 spool Power pro on other side pocket
    front pocket has spare hooks, license, Split ring pliers and a few packs of soft plastics.

All for $10.96 from Walmart. Been using it for years without any issues. Fits nicely in a hatch,

5. CodyW

CodyW Well-Known Member

The plastic bottom is what got my attention. All of my previous boxes would get saltwater stains and the bottoms would wear. How does the zippers hold up? The quality of the zippers is another thing I've been looking close to.

6. fjmaverick

Zippers are sturdy but arent the smoothest Ive ever felt. First thing I did when I got it home was rub them down with a stick of chapstick.

CodyW likes this.
  7. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-6201-1-Tray-Tackle-Box/47073971

Guys have made fun of me for years, but this is all I use. I found over time having a large tale box in a saltwater environment just meant I'm exposing a bunch of expensive tackle that I won't be using that trip. Mine doesn't have the fold out tray, I have a divided plastic box in it.

I drilled holes in the bottom and rinse it out when I get home letting it dry. I'm able to fit everything I need (leaders, hooks, jigs, a few lures, lead, swivels, pliers.....), and access it quickly. To me large tackle boxes are like most lures these days, they are made to catch anglers, not fish.

yobata likes this.
  8. Viking1

Viking1 Well-Known Member

My favorite tackle bag (Flip Pallot blue Mangrove Bag) is not made anymore. I have been experimenting with using dry bags like this 25L Gill bag http://www.linehonors.com/gill-dry-...fdom=adwords&gclid=CI2doeaCtNMCFQ4HhgodEy4CRw . I can put several Flambeau rust resistent tackle trays in it http://www.basspro.com/Flambeau-Tuf...product/2265644/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT_HZB2 . I can put a good selection of bags of my favorite soft plastic baits in it to. Every month I camp out for several days and always get caught in some rain or heavy spray from the water so I need a good waterproof tackle bag to protect my expensive lures. The other advantage of the dry bag is that you can collapse it so not to take up much room plus being it does not have a zipper so you don't have to worry about it rusting.

9. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

10. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Old blue mangrove brand bag it's like 15 years old and starting to give up I sure hope they still make that bag it's been a good bag.

11. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Dammit just read Viking1s post guess I am out of luck on a mangrove bag.

12. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

I use an old Jansport backpack with plastic zippers that I've had for almost 20 years. Jansport had a lifetime warranty although I haven't had the need to use it to date.

@firecat1981 I laughed when I saw your plastic tackle box, I may have had the exact same one as my first tackle box. Don't let anyone change your mind; if it works for you, who cares! You go girl!

13. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

Then just use a cheap bigger plastic bin. I use a leftover battery box.
    Or buy a yeti and rip the lid off.

mangoman and DeepSouthFly like this.
  14. Pierson

Pierson Well-Known Member

Keep more at home and less in the boat! I keep my boxes in a closet at home and customize a basic backpack with gear I need for a specific trip. I was tired of bringing all my crap on the boat for a few hours of fishing. Luckily I fish the same waters most days so my backpack is always ready to go with just the leader/lures/hooks that I actually need.

DBStoots and mosquitolaGOON like this.
  15. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

@yobata I've had that box for about a decade, it's almost time for a new one as this one is pretty weather beaten. I've had $100 boxes, backpacks, plastic bags...... I just keep going back to simple and small.

topnative2 and yobata like this.
  16. DeepSouthFly

DeepSouthFly Well-Known Member

I use a walmart plastic bin. I put velcro on the bottom so it doesn't slide around in my side compartment. less in the floor of the cockpit is less of a pain in my rear. Simplicity and functional are things I always keep in mind with anything on my boat.

mangoman, topnative2 and firecat1981 like this.
  17. MRichardson

MRichardson I Love microskiff.com!

I use a Gander Mtn waterproof duffel bag. No pockets, I hate searching thru pockets. Soft baits are arranged in large ziplocs, other stuff in typical plano or flambeau boxes or various sizes.

18. fjmaverick