Possible New motor on 15'4"

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rashouri87, Aug 11, 2009.

1. rashouri87

rashouri87 I Love microskiff.com!

I found a deal for a 16 HP go-devil longtail motor. The motor weighs 170 pounds. Could I conceivably put this motor on my 15'4"? Too much stern weight? Could this be remotely safe? Should I just invest in a jon boat capable of handling this much motor? I've seen people run bigger motors on the 15'4" hence the questions.

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I'd say thats to much weight, plus your usually standing up while using one making it even more tippy.
    Have you been reading about OSWLD flipping his classic for a second time? Now if you had a classic I'd say maybe, but a highsider just won't be safe plus with the narrower transom and lots of lbs you might get swamped alot.

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

That motor belongs on a very wide boat with enough room to stand and steer from a rock solid position.

Frank_S

4. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

One thought [smiley=carcrash.gif]

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Tom Orl Had a 6Hp on my boat and it was on the edge ...

DON'T Do It INDY !!!

Dave

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Not safe at all!!!

Personally I think the 85lb range is about pushing it safety-wise on a 15'4" hull and you are talking about doubling that. Plus you'll be standing with that motor to operate it correctly.

Bad combination IMHO.

Look for another hull if the deal on the motor is too good to pass up, or pass on the motor deal entirely.

-T

7. rashouri87

I was thinking those same two thoughts, Tom et al. Thanks for the replies. The motor is such a good deal though. I DID however find a more adequate 6 hp longtail for the same price, but newer condition which weighs in at 70 pounds, same as my 6 hp two stroke. I think I may go with that due to area lakes having 10 hp restrictions.

8. JaredFacemyer

JaredFacemyer Well-Known Member

I think the 6hp will work fine on your boat. Post pics of whatever you get.

9. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

better check the transom ...Width

10. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I would shoot Tom in Orlando a PM with some questions on his setup. He was running a 6hp longtail on a 13 hull for a bit I think and could probably give you some great input on the setup and his thoughts on running one on the 15 hull. He's a gheenoe guru so I'd take his opinions to heart.

-T

11. rashouri87

I ended up getting a Go_devil 6.5 hopped up with jets, intake and exhaust!! This thing runs like a beast in the marsh.  I went through waist high grass!! So much for needing to make my outboard "Weedless"!!! LOL