Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm planning a trip to Portland, OR last week of August, anyone have a Guide or know of a Shop in the area where I could plan a fly trip for a couple of days? I have never freshwater fly fished so this is a new for me. I plan on taking a 5wt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might check with The Gorge Fly Shop in Hood River just up stream from Portland on the Columbia.

I don’t know much about them but I bought a rod from them this spring that included a fly line with the option to upgrade. I called and spoke with a rep and was treated very nicely.

I think they would be worth looking in to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You’re going to want to get away from Portland a minimum of a couple hour drive. Most of the best fisheries are east of the Cascades (both Oregon and Washington). The Gorge Fly Shop suggestion is a good one. Doing a day on the Deschutes River in Oregon would likely be a solid option for that time of year.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Reds fly shop in WA east of the Cascades has a really great setup along the Yakima. Took a few trips out of there and thoroughly enjoyed them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You’re going to want to get away from Portland a minimum of a couple hour drive. Most of the best fisheries are east of the Cascades (both Oregon and Washington). The Gorge Fly Shop suggestion is a good one. Doing a day on the Deschutes River in Oregon would likely be a solid option for that time of year.
Good Choice here also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i am not sure about guides. I do not know who is good- I mean.
There are two good fly shops in Portland and both provide guiding services: theportlandflyshop.com downtown Portland, close to some good beer and food around
and www.flyshopw.com outside city. Talk to both about info.
With 5 weight rod and a car I would float Deshutes River (nice looking water/river) and contact DeschutesAngler.com - follow their reports as they are quite honest and they are on the water every day. This shop and river is 2h 30min from city center. Also the drive to Deschutes is buetifull (by snowy mountains- glacier; form forests to desert- at least 3 different climate zones in 2 hour time). If trout fishing sucks, consider fishing for smallmaout bass on John Jay River. Deschutes Anglers run the trips there too as well as other shops. Supposedly up to 100-smallish- fish a days are common (I do not know, I don't fish for bass yet)
George fly shop is nice but 1h from Portland (trout in lakes, and smallmouths)
Do not expect GREAT river trout fishing in this part of the country! Though the redside rainbows are strong fighters! There is trout in lakes but I do not fish lakes at all. ( Do not even think of fishing steelheading- it just sucks year round on West coast and it is for those who love to wave big sticks. FORGET STEEL!!!! DO not even go there!!!)

.. let's trade places :) I want to be on your flats!!!!! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I will approach them to start planning the trips.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
849 Posts
How’d this trip work out? I’m considering some exploring that way in June.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live in Portland and can tell you, fly fishing for bass along the columbia river gorge is absolutely insane in the summer time! A floating line if the water is really warm, or a full sink line with some deceivers or buggers, whatever it is, you can have 100 fish days pretty easily. On the trout scene, this is a good time to go hit the deschutes river. Salmon fly hatches are going on around this time (big ass topwater bugs), or you can always nymph or swing streamers and catch the most beautiful redside rainbow trout you'll ever see. the numbers won't be crazy, maybe 8, 10, 12 fish, but they are memorable to say the least. BEAUTIFUL fish. You may get into a steelhead, however, numbers have been so horrible that it isn't worth trying. And if you do try, and catch one, please please please, treat the fish well. These fish are endangered and damn near extinct on some rivers....

G

·
Hello All,
I'm planning a trip to Portland, OR last week of August, anyone have a Guide or know of a Shop in the area where I could plan a fly trip for a couple of days? I have never freshwater fly fished so this is a new for me. I plan on taking a 5wt.
I've fished the Deschutes for many years. You should try Descutes Anglers in Maupin [John and Amy Hazel]. If you pm. me I can give you the name of a local guy that can also give you some valuable insights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts