Portable GPS reccomendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by brew1891, Sep 11, 2007.

1. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

What's everbody using for a portable GPS?

I would prefer a color screen...and need to be able to see the screen in bright sunlight with polarized sunglasses on as well so it can be read on the fly

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I have a Lowrance H2OC. Pretty to look at but the functionality sucks big time. I can not automate any of the way point or route uploads from my computer like I could with the Garmin. Avoid the iFinder series if you want any PC compatability.

3. brew1891

not sure yet if i want pc compatibility cause ive never had one!

the most common use would be to mark a track when trying out new areas so i could get back to the ramp!

4. captnron

captnron Guest

I use m&m's. ;) ;D ;D

5. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx, great unit. I use it all the time for what you are wanting, sunny conditions, no problem seeing the screen!
    Weedy

6. brew1891

i tried that once but the catfish kept eating them!

7. Sounds like trying to chum up an inboardgheenoe ;D

8. Jacbo

Jacbo Well-Known Member

Naw, M&Ms sink... gumballs are what you want! ;D

9. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

Looks like the only difference between the Garmin 76Cx and the Garmin 76CSx is the 76CSx has a compass and barometric altimeter for $50 more?

10. buck

buck Well-Known Member

garmin 60csx

11. captnron

captnron Guest

Do they both accept the "chip'? Thought the CSx had expandable memory. :-/ :-/ Not that I would need it. ;D ;D

12. Skiny_water_sniper

Skiny_water_sniper Well-Known Member

Simple, cheap and durable is the way to go.

Magellan Explorist 200, Mono LCD Screen, no memory cards to mess with, no computer interface, crappy quality map, nothing to be called an "Instruction book" beyond a very complicated description for "Insert Batteries here! ~~>" But it is simple enough to set up so it shows a trail of where you are and were so you don't get lost shows speed and compass heading too, and if you load it up with fresh batteries every couple months you are good to go. Oh and for $40 bucks at Walmart when it has the really need the shelf space red on red price label its cheap enough to buy a spare just in case. Who needs color, maps from the current decade, computer interface etc that stuff requires reading an instruction booklet the size of the Dade county phone book. (it worked well as a bludgeon on a cottonmouth that fell in the boat too). It's simple and gets you back where you started as long as you don't use it to beat hapless lost reptiles with it while screaming like a girl.