Port Richey MORONS !!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by noeettica, Jul 29, 2011.

1. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

COMING TO a waterway near you :-(

Cameras to be set up in no-wake zone

Oh, boy. Another money grab by the government. Pretty soon cameras will be policing us everywhere we go, watching everything we do just to collect a fine.

PORT RICHEY - When the city of Port Richey had a problem with accidents at the corner of Ridge Road and U.S. 19, it installed cameras. The cameras were designed to catch drivers running red lights.

Now the city has a new problem and wants to use the camera as a solution. The Port Richey Police Department wants to install cameras along a channel that leads from a city boat launch into the Gulf of Mexico.

"People are getting tired of the chronic violations of the no-wake zone," said Mayor Richard Rober. "Video technology is a tool for cities facing budget shortfalls."

Although he consistently refuses to divulge accident statistics, Police Chief Dave Brown claims the cameras at the corner of U.S. 19 and Ridge Road have made the area safer.

"Less crashes and less injuries -- that's the whole purpose of that camera is, indeed, to make you a better driver," Brown said.

Boaters are less enthusiastic.

"I think that's a stupid idea," said boater Will Burbach as he wrapped a day on the Gulf. "Why do you need security cameras on the river?"

Critics suggest the cameras are a way to generate money for cash-strapped municipalities.

Indeed, Port Richey's cameras have generated thousand of dollars for the one-square-mile city.

Mayor Rober also acknowledged his city is facing tough financial times. Although the police department has a boat, it's most often tied up at a dock.

"It will probably make a lot of people mad. People want to just go out and have fun, they don't want to have to worry about getting a ticket on the water," John Roman said dockside.

Although the mayor suggested the seaside camera idea is worth exploring, the tape is not rolling just yet. He said there are numerous questions about how the video would be used, being able to identify boaters who do violate no-wake zones, and how to calibrate speed on the water.

While those questions are debated, the city will try to find the $10,000 it may take to install the cameras.

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

What a croc.. If they ever try that in my area i'll get removable FL#s so all they will see is an unmarked boat flipping them the bird

3. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

I know a few weeks back at Devils Elbow I wish they had camera's. I nearly had boat washed in to the back of truck by idiots not following min wake. 3 boats following each other and
    first guy did not slow and neither did the other 2.

We all know this not the majority, but as usual the mullets will ruin it for us all.

4. RedFinaddict

RedFinaddict I Love microskiff.com!

Big Brother is watching. You know, in years to come with all of this crap being done, free life is gonna be a prison of its own. Its ridiculous, hire more patrols, dont set up cameras. Thats just some bs, not that I do anything that Im always lookin over my shoulder, but the feeling of being watched 24/7 peeees me off. I mean come on, preschool was over 20 years ago. Let me be an adult.

5. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Sorry to say boys but I think it's a great idea. I'm massively in favor of redlight cameras too because I'm the guy who has to deal with trying to save the lives of the violators and there victims! Since they installed the redlight camera's here in lakeland there has definately been a reduction in collisions at those intersections.

If you can't operate a car or boat within the legal limits then you shouldn't own one, period! Remember it's a priveledge, it's not a right. This whole deal has little to do with big brother wanting to spy on everyone, and has everything to do with dumbasses who can't follow rules! :mad:

6. noeettica

I got rear Ended because of a Red Light Camera ... :eek:

7. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

:eek:
    :eek:

Nooooo...I don't think so...

I think you got rear ended because the driver behind you wasn't maintaining a safe following distance.

;)

I've got no problems with red light cameras.
    Shows the vehicle and license tag very clearly.
    It's very hard to argue with pictures of the vehicle entering the intersection,
    front tires crossing the stop bar, with the red light clearly visible overhead.
    It's made a difference in my small town.

;D

8. noeettica

Pineallas (sp?) is really screwed up !!! If you lock down after your front tires cross the line and you get Rear Ended the Vehicle that hits you does NOT get charged ... !!!

9. RedFinaddict

While Im sure statistics can be followed and shown that accidents have declined since the use of redlight cameras, there is no way in predicting accidents, or wrecks for a better term. I agree in Palm Coast they have had somewhat of an effect. Im not against the redlight cams, they help in hit and run situations and any questionable circumstances, but an accident is caused from negligence: not paying attention, careless driving, cellphones, radios, etc. And the cams itself isnt gonna cut down on negligence. The kids are still gonna text and drive, theres gonna be those who decide to drink and drive, and those who tailgate and drive carelessly, regardless of the traffic cams.  Its the whole camera on the waterway thing, even if not in my area, its sure to be adopted throughout the state overtime. I dont do anything where Id have to look over my shoulder and worry, but part of the reason I enjoy the outdoors is to get away from the whole contraption of being under surveilance. To me, knowing that Ive got cameras "spying" on me as Im trying to enjoy my waterway just seems a little extreme. Id rather have FWC or Marine Patrol unit for local pd or sheriffs parked and sitting than having that itchy feeling on my back. Thats just me though.

Btw Brett- Did you ever notice that damn camera at PC Pkwy and Walmart to always flash repeatedly?

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Sure have. :eek:

I think they do it deliberately to get the attention of the blue hairs coming outa wally world. ;)

11. RedFinaddict

;D There would be nights coming back from bings and it would randomly flash while i was the only vehicle at the intersection.

12. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Not to derail the thread but i think that they should start cracking down on Law enforcement officers using their computers while driving. It seems like every time I see one on the roadway now days they are always trying to double task. By company policy, I cannot even engage my vehicle in drive until my laptop lid is closed and my bluetooth is activated on my phone. I have no problem with this after seeing the way others operate their vehicles and taking note of their careless operation. To myself, these things are more important than a red light camera, which everyone should know to obey anyways...

13. firecat1981

The only way that will happen is if everyone starts paying double the taxes, because then you will need 2 cops per car so one can work the computer and get updates while enroute and one can drive. Thats how we do it in the fire trucks and even then sometimes the driver needs to look over for map information and flag maps.
    It's just not realistic and no the cops are not filling out there reports while driving they are getting dispatch information sent to them from the com centers. When you see them sitting under a tree they are doing reports.

14. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

^^^ Im going to have to totally disagree with you on that statement. Typically, if in route to an EMERGENCY, an officer would have lights on and only worried as to arriving to make a situation SAFE. If driving to a NON-emergency call then I would expect the officer to focus his/her attention on driving safely and know where they are going before hand. Two completely different situations regarding the comparison between the FD and the PD. Every officer I have seen scanning the computer while driving looked as if they were in no hurry. They should pull over and perform their task just like everyone else unless an emergency arises..... :cool:

15. firecat1981

Unless you are part of an emergency service system it's hard to understand, most civilians don't get most of what our jobs involve, or want to pay for improvements. We work very closely with PD and just because they don't have there lights and sirens on doesn't mean they aren't responding to an emergency. There are many things that need to be logged in on an MDT (mobile data terminal, or laptop to laymen) while on the road, every action taken, every dispatch response, every arrival, time stamps, cancelations, completions, availabilities....all must be logged in real time! If not it skews the response numbers, which in turn will lower the ISO ratings of your community, and increase your homeowners insurance and taxes.....
    If there was a better way, we would have changed to it years ago. Everything is tracked by GPS these days, and also remember wrecking a city vehicle is something every employee wants to avoid!

I'm not even sure if this is a derail due to the discussion of law enforcement but I'll appologize for it anyway. I would like to restate that I am fully in favor of video camera's helping out to keep things legal. I mean heck the only places they will be is in populated areas, on waterways that need help. If you are worried about privacy....well there are alot of those homes on the water that have cameras pointed across there docks, but they aren't going to have cameras in the mangroves ;)

16. floridanative1028

floridanative1028 I Love microskiff.com!

If safety was in any way shape or form an issue they would make a mandatory boaters safety course. The difference is one option makes money and another cost money.

And what happens if someone has to haul ass through that area to escape a lightning storm? Do they have to waste their time to fight it in court? I can recall plenty of times when I have been fishing dock lights and had to run through "manatee zones" (another bs law) to get home safely. We are after all the "Lightning Capital of the World"

17. firecat1981

Being out in a storm IMO is not an excuse to violate anything, and yes you should be ticketed (or worse depending on the violation) if caught. That's just poor planning, yes lightning can be scary, but the choice is yours what days you fish and how long you wish to stay on your spot while watching a storm roll in. Been here 20 years and have yet to get caught in a storm that I didn't see coming, sometimes I choose to get wet, sometimes I run, but I always have time to decide.

18. floridanative1028

floridanative1028 I Love microskiff.com!

Wow 20 years and never been caught in a storm? IMPRESSIVE! But I take it you don't fish much. So too clarify what your saying, if I do happen to get caught in a lightning storm then I should idle through the lightning? HA! How many speeding tickets do they have to give to pay all of the people who respond on scene to find my dead body?

And... whats worse than a ticket? Arrest? If thats what your implying then thats just a joke. Right?

19. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

State,County,Municipal,Offender,Data System (SCMODS) now that is a MDT, not a Toughbook running MDT SW. :D

This crowd maybe to young to appreciate. ;D

Who know where SCMODS comes from?