Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Port Isabel, TX

849 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Matts
Have many of you ran South end of Lunga Madra
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Tides are not much of a factor in Texas in general without wind driving them to be and the LM is one of the least impacted. Tide fluctuations are not much without a heavy wind to drive water out.

That said, it’s is a shallow bay system. More so than any on the Texas coast. You need to be able to run skinny or you will be poling long distances at times to take off. Ask me how I know, some can be really long if you let the wind take on the east side flats for too long.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
You better be able to TRULY run in less than a foot and be able to TRULY hole shot in the same over sand or you will tear your gear up and get in a bind if you come off plane and can’t get back up. Countless miles of sub 12” flats.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
how shallow is it there and is it easy to get around and stay off the ground
Shallow and no.

Way too broad a question - the east side has lots of sand (endless miles) and is super shallow. Much of what you are asking depends on wind and tides. And if the wind is up, you aren't getting to the east side. Get a coastal map and look MSL data. Check your tide stations.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
A 90 is a large engine for that little skiff. I’d stay in the ICW and pole. Hope you a highly mounted engine and JP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts