Poon hooks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Rick hambric, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

No, I don't recommend straightening it, you'll compromise the metal strength. If you want a straight hook, then go with the Aki 5170. The straight eyed offset "twist" of the 5180 (and slightly thinner wire than the 5170) is what I came up with on my own after many years of trial and error and is what I ended up for beach and flats fishing (an never heard of anyone else using them). The twist or turn of the point of the 5180 "sticks" into whatever as it's sliding out of the poon's mouth. No, it doesn't spook the fish. It's a thin wire hook that's strong enough not to bend, but with that point, and thinner wire to penetrate deeper, quicker, with less effort.

If I am fishing deeper darker water or rivers with big flies or at night around structures or bridge pilings where I need to pour on the heat to the fish and their visibility is less, then I'll go to a 3/0 Aki 5169 (heavier wire but not too heavy) or go to a 4/0 5180 since I need the gap size and the wire on the 4/0 is thicker than the 3/0. I just buy them in small packs and use them up as I need them, until I need more from my local source, since I'm not a commercial guide or tier like Capt Bob.

There is no need to use a hook like any of these for snook, reds or most inshore species since they have softer mouths and most other hooks will work for them. But will use them occasionally for cobes and other hard mouth bigger offshore pelagics.

Since it's not silver, it doesn't give away the size of the hook as much as silver colored hooks, unless you are using brightly colored baitfish patterns. So where some guys have gone down to a 1/0 in the Keys with... say dark EP style, toads, etc., I've had no issues with them eating 2/0's in a BC/BN colored hook, unless the fly was just too dang ugly! lol Otherwise, I'm fishing 3/0's on the Gulf coast. Also the SL12S's & SC17's have a rap for breaking, bending and points rolling. Tiemco 600's are good too, but I don't really use them much unless on thredfin/sardine/light colored mullet patterns.

I haven't had that problems with those thinner wire Owners unless you actually let them rust up. Then, you are just rolling the dice. If you properly strip set them the right way, they will stay buttoned up. I've gone whole multi fish seasons with no hooks getting spit out and I've had no hook breakage on fly, but have straighten 2 of the 3/0 on conventional rods (applying more pressure) or when I had to crank up the OB to drag a fish out of the bridge pilings.

With juvenal fish, depending on the targeted size of the fish, I'll use 1/0-2/0 or go to the Mosquito 5177 hooks for the smaller juvi's 5-20lbs in a size #1-1/0. The micros (under 5lbs) I'll typically use a size #2 Mosquito hook. I've also use the Dai Riki's 930 in size #4-2 on the minis and micros.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, but this is what I use and my experience with them. So it's what I recommend. But, to each their own.

Ted Haas

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 7:51 AM
    bryson, lsunoe and Rick hambric like this.
  2. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

i think a lot of lower keys guides use the varivas hooks. i don't hook enough tarpon per year to test and have any real answer but my flies are either on varivas or sl12s