Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for a new boat. I want to fly fish the Lower Laguna Madre, but I need a boat that will allow me to (occasionally) have 4 people aboard. 90% of the time it will be with just myself and my wife. But that other 10% is seriously hampering my search. I want to be able to pole the boat effectively. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don’t know about your waters, but I recently picked up a HB Guide and it can ride 4 with no problem while still getting pretty skinny
I was just looking at the guide. Seems like great boat, for not hearing much about it. How well does it pole? What hp are you running and what kind of speeds are you seeing with 2 people vs 3 or 4? What about draft with those amounts of people?

·
Registered
548 Posts
So I actually fish 90% of the time by myself, but needed a comprise for the family. The Guide really seems to check a lot of those boxes. I ran Oceanside this morning, back into creeks no wider the the skiff just after low tide....very versatile skiff!

Poles pretty easy and well in my opinion. I came out of a little Ankona and was kind of worried about it being a pig to pole, but so far pleasantly surprised by various experiences. Of course into heavy wind and current, and you are going to have to work for it!

Power is a new Yami 70 and 3 blade 14 pitch stainless. 2 people 5000 Rpm’s avg seems to be 28-30 mph burning approximately 4 gph. Pull back to low/mid 20’s mph and burn jumps down to 3gph. Of course whether you are into wind and current or against it will change the numbers. Loaded down burns a bit more fuel and drops a couple mph’s off those numbers

As far as draft, from all I’ve read, the boat was designed to carry/float heavier loads. We had 3 full grown men in the grass recently and it floated over things I thought for sure we’d hit, but I’d say it’s a 8” boat regardless of weight. Actually its at it’s best with that ballast up front.

I fish out of Folly and you are welcome anytime

I was just looking at the guide. Seems like great boat, for not hearing much about it. How well does it pole? What hp are you running and what kind of speeds are you seeing with 2 people vs 3 or 4? What about draft with those amounts of people?

·
Registered
176 Posts
So I actually fish 90% of the time by myself, but needed a comprise for the family. The Guide really seems to check a lot of those boxes. I ran Oceanside this morning, back into creeks no wider the the skiff just after low tide....very versatile skiff!

Poles pretty easy and well in my opinion. I came out of a little Ankona and was kind of worried about it being a pig to pole, but so far pleasantly surprised by various experiences. Of course into heavy wind and current, and you are going to have to work for it!

Power is a new Yami 70 and 3 blade 14 pitch stainless. 2 people 5000 Rpm’s avg seems to be 28-30 mph burning approximately 4 gph. Pull back to low/mid 20’s mph and burn jumps down to 3gph. Of course whether you are into wind and current or against it will change the numbers. Loaded down burns a bit more fuel and drops a couple mph’s off those numbers

As far as draft, from all I’ve read, the boat was designed to carry/float heavier loads. We had 3 full grown men in the grass recently and it floated over things I thought for sure we’d hit, but I’d say it’s a 8” boat regardless of weight. Actually its at it’s best with that ballast up front.

I fish out of Folly and you are welcome anytime
Thanks for the response! Great info, while I am not going to be purchasing a HB this is good info and allows me to compare some things. I appreciate the offer too! I am hoping to make it to the coast soon. Ill shoot you a message when I am going to be down there and if our schedules cooperate maybe I could take you up on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is very similar to the post that i made yesterday regarding a build. Similar wants. At this point I am leaning towards telling the 10% of the time 3rd and 4th person to buy their own boat and meet us out there.

Haha! Strong advice. I don't intend to pole the boat WITH 4 people. I'm really looking for a boat I can pole and fly fish effectively from, I just need a boat that I can put 4 people on 3 or 4 times a year to drift fish/head to the beach for lunch, etc... The actual poling/fly fishing will always be just me and one person.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Haha! Strong advice. I don't intend to pole the boat WITH 4 people. I'm really looking for a boat I can pole and fly fish effectively from, I just need a boat that I can put 4 people on 3 or 4 times a year to drift fish/head to the beach for lunch, etc... The actual poling/fly fishing will always be just me and one person.
I hear ya, that's exactly my situation too. I'd like to be able to take my dad and brother or a few buddies out and none of them can even cast a fly rod, nor can they pole. A trolling motor and a live well can make these situations fun for everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes! The trolling motor and live well can make all the difference on those days. Now, can we find a boat that we can do that AND still pole/chase fish when we aren't bringing the whole crew!?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm going to build. I'm in the process of swapping emails with Chris Morejohn now and I am leaning towards his Beryllium design. Waiting to get full Info and specs before making decision.

I'm not fishing or running anywhere near as shallow as you are out in LLM though.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I happen to have a 01 Guide Obannon model. It’s probably the best bet for what you are wanting. It will get early tide bonefish flat skinny. But I hope you are not expecting to find a skiff. That gets on those super skinny flats with 4 people on board. But a Guide will carry 4 with ease. And still be skinnier than most boats doing it. It was designed to carry more people. It has more displacement up front. That’s why it has those added spray rails. It has more hull upfront in the water. Too bad you are not in SWFL. Because mine is going up for sale very soon.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,210 Posts
For that area I would not want to give up the poling and running draft of smaller skiff to a accommodate a big enough skiff to comfortably fish 4. Knock that number down to 3 people and you an get closer to a compromise with a lot of skiff’s. Most skiff that comfortably fish 2 poling will fish three in a pinch assuming you are watching weather.

4 is a whole other ballgame.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Fish 2 95% of the time but MUST to be able to carry(not fish) the wife and 2 daughters. I want a Guide. Haven't seen another skiff that fishes as shallow and still rides 4. It's been around for 20 years, so it's surprising. Wish there more options. I never thought I'd be a HB guy but it seems like that hull is most practical for what I do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts