Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 👋
Anybody out there throw a poling platform on Parker 1801? I’m really considering doing it. I’m in the North East and wanna sight fish for bass. It only draws 7” but the downfall is the weight.
Any info is mucho appreciated and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can pole a JB1910LTE, no reason you can’t pole an 1801. That said, I don’t think you can pole it far! But it’s a good place to put pizza boxes for picnic’ing and will keep sun off your engine cowling so I am a supporter of your plan.

One3 Powerboats in Old Lyme could weld you up a custom poling platform for an 1801 if you’re up that way.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,549 Posts
Welcome. Years ago I converted a 17 Aquasport center console into a flats boat. The modifications included removing all the bow rails and adding a custom poling platform. While it was certainly no technical poling skiff, it did a decent job of fishing semi-shallow water. The trick is poling downwind/current and using a more forgiving push pole like a fiberglass or hybrid version. The height advantage is also helpful for spotting cruising fish/wakes and bait.

I'd go for it. But take your time with measurements to ensure proper support/integrity and clearance for the outboard.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome. Years ago I converted a 17 Aquasport center console into a flats boat. The modifications included removing all the bow rails and adding a custom poling platform. While it was certainly no technical poling skiff, it did a decent job of fishing semi-shallow water. The trick is poling downwind/current and using a more forgiving push pole like a fiberglass or hybrid version. The height advantage is also helpful for spotting cruising fish/wakes and bait.

I'd go for it. But take your time with measurements to ensure proper support/integrity and clearance for the outboard.
^^^This

I "control drifted" a 146 Dargel Skooter for years. It was plenty doable, and I caught a ton of fish off it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd pole it a few times as is before building a platform for it to see how viable it is. It is not so much a question of CAN you push the boat with a stick but more how much do you want to.
Thanks I did just that. I’ll have to pick and choose my days

Thanks. I’ll take all that into consideration. Keep you posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts