Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m not sure I can explain this correctly but I’ll try. So there’s a few areas I want to fish. I know I can get over the flats/shallow grass beds in my 21’ Moccasin with the T/M to fish the deeper water on the other side but as the tide drops my T/M touches. I’ll lift it as high as I can without it coming out of the water but I’m dragging the skeg and that’s with me standing over it. The boat will float in less water then the T/M will work in, I’m pretty sure at least this is the case. I need to stay forward otherwise I’m pretty sure my (aft) hull will drag again, I’m pretty sure of this. So if this is the case would any of you use a shorter push pole say 18’ from the bow casting platform just to get the boat over some tight spots? I mean will it work or should I wait to fish these areas with a TPS?
Mind you, I’m still in NY just thinking ahead.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,808 Posts
If you are in water that shallow trying to use a TM, I can almost guarantee you that you'll never get close enough to a fish to cast to it. Unless you just need to get over a hump and back into deeper water, say 2' or more, you need to just push. Practice poling more. Some boats will pole well from the front (my Vantage poled quite well going backwards) and some boats don't (my EVOx doesn't like to pole backwards). For the most part, it is better to load up a bunch of weight up front to counter act you and the motor in the back and no one up front to help keep the boat level

·
I Love microskiff.com!
62 Posts
If I'm fishing solo, I almost always pole from the casting platform (HB Biscayne) and it works great. The hardest part is laying out the fly rod and line so I can clutch the push-pole between my knees and pick up the rod, cast, etc. That maneuver is not graceful and takes practice, and some angles aren't great, but it works pretty well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm fishing solo, I almost always pole from the casting platform (HB Biscayne) and it works great. The hardest part is laying out the fly rod and line so I can clutch the push-pole between my knees and pick up the rod, cast, etc. That maneuver is not graceful and takes practice, and some angles aren't great, but it works pretty well.
I always fish alone unless my wife comes with me which has been rare. Too hot she claims😥. I appreciate your feedback. I’m going to work on this and see how it goes.
thanks again.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I am by myself, about 80% of the time, I am always poling from the front with the motor up out of the water. I have a small 14' skiff so it is really not an issue, I go forward or backward, depending on the situation. With me on the bow it will draft the least (about 3") so I can go in some really skinny water. My casting platform is a Yeti 45, a little cheaper than real platform and you can store ice cold beverages in it. When I first got it I asked the same thing you did. The more you do it, the more natural it will feel and it will extend your range. I just usually gently set my push pole down in the boat and pick up my fly rod and start casting. A Power Pole helps a lot. The only problem I have found is the tide, you need to be aware of it and when it is time to get out of there before it changes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought about that but I don’t carry enough to offset 215# on the platform. I haven’t tried poling it from the platform yet so I’m not really sure. Honestly when it comes to poling I don’t know shit about shit. I will shortly though.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
My advice as a 54 year old native of the area you are moving to we have super spooky fish as @jay.bush1434 mentioned your not gonna get close to them on the flats with that trolling motor. You will be able to beat the bushes with it but the flats is a poling man's game to get stealthy enough to get them to bite imo my advice is keep the poling platform on the skiff or get a tps as well this area is perfect for multiple boats I actually have 3 and an understanding wife who puts up with my insanity.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My advice as a 54 year old native of the area you are moving to we have super spooky fish as @jay.bush1434 mentioned your not gonna get close to them on the flats with that trolling motor. You will be able to beat the bushes with it but the flats is a poling man's game to get stealthy enough to get them to bite imo my advice is keep the poling platform on the skiff or get a tps as well this area is perfect for multiple boats I actually have 3 and an understanding wife who puts up with my insanity.
God bless you😉😉that’s exactly what I needed to hear. My wife was the one who suggested a second, smaller boat. I am so excited to get the hell outa this hellhole and move to the island full time.

·
Registered
2016 Cayo 173
34 Posts
This gets asked so many times it should be a sticky like the tarpon leaders.
I tried poling from the bow and it’s not worth it in my opinion.Stack all your gear on the bow and pole from the platform.
I second Smack. And I also fish alone around 80% of the time. Not a fan of polling from the casting platform at all. I have my battery rigged in the front hatch, try to keep my fuel tank full, and I put my cooler on the bow as well. My skiff floats fairly level that way, but I'm only 165 lbs. I've heard of guys even putting sandbags up there to offset the weight. To each their own I guess......

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,690 Posts
I second Smack. And I also fish alone around 80% of the time. Not a fan of polling from the casting platform at all. I have my battery rigged in the front hatch, try to keep my fuel tank full, and I put my cooler on the bow as well. My skiff floats fairly level that way, but I'm only 165 lbs. I've heard of guys even putting sandbags up there to offset the weight. To each their own I guess......
If I’m fishing solo I’ll take an extra ice chest and fill it with water (a spare bilge pump with about 6-8’ of hose is handy) on the casting platform but rarely fish solo so it’s almost a once a year deal. This mimics a person on the bow and I can pole from the crow’s nest. I drain the water the same way then dump it when it’s light enough.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,808 Posts
Thought about that but I don’t carry enough to offset 215# on the platform. I haven’t tried poling it from the platform yet so I’m not really sure. Honestly when it comes to poling I don’t know shit about shit. I will shortly though.
Here's a little inside info...poling a skiff well, is probably the hardest thing to learn when owning a skiff. I'm laughing with you but I'm getting a little chuckle about just how much shit you are about to learn ;)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,060 Posts
If you want to fish skinny and pole, get a different boat. Flats boat like that draft too much and are way too heavy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a little inside info...poling a skiff well, is probably the hardest thing to learn when owning a skiff. I'm laughing with you but I'm getting a little chuckle about just how much shit you are about to learn ;)
I’m looking forward to it!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
This gets asked so many times it should be a sticky like the tarpon leaders.
I tried poling from the bow and it’s not worth it in my opinion.Stack all your gear on the bow and pole from the platform.
I actually use ballast weight bags used in wakeboarding. depending who is on the bow if I am not solo (my daughter is really petite but my fishing buddy is not :)). If solo and deeper water, like in LA, I will use the weights and fish from the polling platform. If Texas, solo, I will pole from the front, no weights. Not as good from a vantage point but it will get as skinny as I will ever get my boat.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If I’m fishing solo I’ll take an extra ice chest and fill it with water (a spare bilge pump with about 6-8’ of hose is handy) on the casting platform but rarely fish solo so it’s almost a once a year deal. This mimics a person on the bow and I can pole from the crow’s nest. I drain the water the same way then dump it when it’s light enough.
I do need to try that. I have seen a buddy using bladder type bags as well. no volume when not in use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts