Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 17’ skiff and am removing the poling platform, due to balance issues. I’m looking for info/instructions on how to possible it from the deck of the boat. TIA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you saying to take that poling platform and then mount it on the front of the bait? I’m not a structural engineer but you might want to just consider throwing a casting platform on there. Sounds like there’d be some issues with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying to take that poling platform and then mount it on the front of the bait? I’m not a structural engineer but you might want to just consider throwing a casting platform on there. Sounds like there’d be some issues with that.
absolutely not just removing it and am considering poling fm the deck

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
This a Ranger 191? Main obstacle poling from the deck is clearing the motor with the push pole. Have you considered adding a sissy bar or wrap around cage on top of the platform? They make cages that will absolutely keep you safe.

Reactions: The Fin

·
waterman 16
515 Posts
I recently bought a 17’ skiff and am removing the poling platform, due to balance issues. I’m looking for info/instructions on how to possible it from the deck of the boat. TIA
In the old days, before the poling platform, a skiff was poled backward from the bow. Did it for many years. Easiest and quietest to pole or pole/drift with the wind. But many, many fish have been caught that way. I still do it sometimes when fishing alone.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah I push my jonboat like that sometimes and the motor can be a pain. Are you fishing by yourself?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe consider a shorter pushpole (like 18' or 19') if you going to be mostly poling from the deck on the bow in skinny water. I pole from my casting platform whenever solo fishing, and in the reverse direction (stern forward). No issues. Just go nice and slow to help mitigate disturbances coming off the stern. On windy days, have the wind to your back and use the pushpole to make small adjustments for optimal skiff positioning.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
My first (and second) “bonefish skiffs” never had a poling platform and what we did was simply pole off of the stern corner. Not hard once you get used to it. Yes, if you needed to scoot- just pole off of the bow, with the wind if at all possible..

A bit of research will show that none of the bonefish guides in the Bahamas or Caribbean ever had poling platforms until they began using US style skiffs to replace their native built skiffs. For more info about that world, look up Ansil Saunders who was not only a top guide, but also built skiffs for the flats in the islands…

By the way, my early “bonefish skiffs” were also used for everything else from the edges of blue water all the way back into the swamps from Palm Beach to Key West. As you can imagine… I was a lot younger then.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Maybe if you want to push off the stern you could make a platform the goes along your console so you don't have to just walk the plank back and forth. Thats where I always fall.

·
Registered
498 Posts
A lot of good replies. Some are over looking the balance issues he is having though. I’m thinking something like what K3 posted. But with a sissy bar with a rope/hoop to keep him in place. And it will allow you to use to boat still as designed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts