polarized lens filter

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by dacuban1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dacuban1

dacuban1 Well-Known Member

How often is it used? Sunny? Cloudy? indoors?
    And if you do use it, do you now have to change your iso, shutter or ev settings?
    Thx in advance..
    Alex-

2. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Get a circular polarizer. You can use them anywhere, but if you use them indoors you will use detail in the shadows. Outdoors is the best. Dont have to change any of your camera settings.

3. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

x2, I use mine for everything but pics of flies and indoor shots. Your shutter speed is going to be a little slower, but not by much.

4. dacuban1

Whats a circular p. lens lol? is there more than one kind of p. lens?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. :)

5. aaronshore

The circular polarizer allows you to rotate the filter so you can get the polarization you want. It is the most common type, I just wanted to let you know so you don't buy the wrong kind. I almost did when I was looking.

6. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

You would know if you got the wrong one ...

Blocks ALL Light when turned ...Only good for Film NOT Digital ...

7. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

dont forget to put a uv filter on top of the pol. filter to help protect it.

8. dacuban1

Cool thx again guys...Gonna pick one up tomorrow.

9. aaronshore

Eh......LOL. I would just buy a new one if it got messed up. Double filtering sounds like wearing two rubbers at the same time.

10. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

The light can bounce back and forth between the filters ... not good

11. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

sometimes two just feels safer after long drunken nights being out of focus [smiley=40s.gif]

12. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

haha!

I notice when shooting with my polarized filter, sometimes I have to change my ISO to keep my shutter speed in the range that I was told is best.

The other day, Alex was shooting in 100 ISO to have his shutter speed in the same range that I was shooting in 400 ISO with the polarized filter on.
    When I took the filter off, I had to switch down to 100 ISO.

13. Yoreese

Yoreese I Love microskiff.com!

As someone already stated for digital cameras you need to use a circular polarizer as the older linear ones cause issues with autofocus.  You will loose about 1.5 to 2 stops with the filter on so you really only want or need to use it outside and sunny to reduce glare.  Also you mentioned stacking it over a UV filter you should take the UV off and just have one filter.  I have taken all the UV filters off my lens and thrown them in the trash as they sometimes cause issues with AF performance and this info comes from a reputable source who is a Canon Pro photographer.