Pline Fluroclear Line

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by No Bait / Lures Only, Dec 5, 2017.

1. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Pline Fluroclear Line, is what I have changed to on my trout/red casting reels. It seems that I am getting lots more strikes/fish than with conventional monofilament line. Tested a piece of 20# mono leader under cork with a jig and did not get any strikes. Changed to Pline Fluroclear Line in 10# or 12# started getting fish immediately. Only issues with the 10#, it is soooo thin that some of the small swim baits with the hook weight assembly will bend and line loop slip over the hook eye. Not breaking the line............

2. jimsmicro

jimsmicro I Love microskiff.com!

For a long time I kept a baitcaster that used fluorocarbon line with no leader whatsoever. It drew strikes from finicky fish that I had a tough time catching on other tackle. I especially like it in the winter time to throw small soft plastics or mirrodines that suspend. Cold fish have more time to consider your bait and you need all the help you can get to draw strikes when fish are laid up. Light line works well for sure and if it's fluoro it's even better.

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.

3. No Bait / Lures Only

My only issue the 10# is soooo thin it slips between gap on cheap swim bait hook eyes, so I net lots of trout over 15". Usually I just flip the trout in the boat as the sides of my boat or only 12" high and when they fall off usually in the boat. Jury still out on the 10# as the trout after 5/6 caught line frays and sometimes breaks on lifting the trout. If the hook up rate wasn't so good with the lighter line I would not be using it.. Line is not pure Fluorocarbon it is coated Fluor n casts further. Use the 12# for the Fatboy/Mirrorlures n popping corks, but tight lining the plastic swim baits I use the 10#. No leaders used as I found it hindered my catch tremendously, will take the chance with a occasional brake off.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. jimsmicro

jimsmicro I Love microskiff.com!

My biggest beef with the coated monofilament stuff is that it still stretches like monofilament does - not as sensitive. But I have to admit that fluoro kinda casts like crap, very stiff. I still love the sensitivity of it, you feel every head shake and even the lightest of bites.

5. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Here in FL any cast can hook up a snook, so 15# flourocarbon is my normal leader. In Sebastian inlet I go up to 30# flouro at times

Cam likes this.
  6. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Funny how folks in different areas use quite a bit of different gear... I often have anglers bring a favorite rod on my skiff and many times their leader setups are nice and light as described above - and just useless in the 'Glades or over in Biscayne bay (where I came off the water about 3Am this morning...)..

The lightest leaders we use for casting purposes are with 30lb fluorocarbon and that 18 to 24" leader is spliced onto a three foot doubled line (for gear with 10 to 12lb line...). For rods with 12 to 20lb line we're set up with 40lb fluoro (and a big snook or medium sized tarpon will darned nearly shred 40 if you're not careful).

The lightest I ever go with leaders is with some of my fly gear where we'll do without a bite (or shock) tippet entirely and just use straight 20lb fluoro to "get the bite" with popping bugs or Clousers -then worry about staying attached once we're hooked up.

Something most should remember when they make a visit to their local tackle shop and buy fishing line (or leader)... With the success of standard fluorocarbon leader material ( I use Seaguar for heavier leaders, say above 60lb, and Ande fluoro for 20 to 40lb leaders) and that is manufacturers are perfectly willing to label stuff fluorocarbon when it bears little resemblance to real fluorocarbon leader material... Fishing lines labeled "fluorcarbon" should probably be labeled "son of fluoro" or "maybe fluoro" .... and have little of the features of the real thing - which is not suitable for fishing line at all since it has different characteristics...

7. No Bait / Lures Only

I tried the Seaguar Fluro Leader in 10# n 15# and found it to fray and break quickly with a limit of the trout. Probably had to re rig swim baits after a few fish, but I did get more strikes with it. Reason I am still using the PLINE Fluro coated is people fishing with me with mono or braid are catching 1 to my 5 fish....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. lemaymiami

If you're using light leaders.. make a point of re-tying after every fish if your leader shows even just a bit of abrasion... You'll be glad you did. To my way of thinking the worst thing about abrasion on a leader isn't that it weakens it... The worst is that it makes your leader very visible (noticeable) to fish that might have sharp eyes...

No Bait / Lures Only, Cam and yobata like this.
  9. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I use 20# Trilene Big Game clear mono for my leaders and don’t have a problem catching big trout in gin clear water. I have sight cast quite a few with it. The snook we sight cast in south Texas were also caught in very clear water with mono leader. I think flourocarbon is overrated and it’s really not as abrasion resistant as people tend to think but that’s just my opinion.

permitchaser likes this.
  10. j102

j102 Active Member

I used Pline in the 20-30 lbs test for a few trips with no issues. But went back to Fluorocarbon Sunline Super FC Sniper and I like it better.

11. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I wonder how I ever caught a fish on plain ole mono
    Or those world records on Ande mono
    Just sayen

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  12. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

"Back in the day" the fisheries weren't as pressured and the water quality was typically better. Things have changed at least in our area and I will take ever advantage I can get.

13. lemaymiami

As far as Ande line goes - yes, it's been used in a ton of world records - but that was the line - and says nothing about the leader (info on leaders or the material their made from is never listed in the records -but they will dis-qualify an application if the leader isn't within their rules....).

As far as the difference between fluoro and mono for leaders - here's my experience with small tarpon (20 to 40lb fish) as far as abrasion resistance. On night trips when the shrimp are around we're able to jump a dozen fish on many nights in less than five hours so I get a lot of practice pulling on leaders at close quarters. When we were using mono and 30lb leaders I always had to handle a leader very, very gently at the boat or I'd end up with a worn through leader and a disappointed look on my anglers face... When fluoro came along I switched to it and the difference was very noticeable - the same badly frayed leaders at the boat - but the tarpon still attached... I know this is hardly scientific but it's what I found after doing the same sort of stuff for years with mono. Ultimately I upped those leaders to 40lb but still have fish wear through them (just not as many....).

I alternate my night trips between spin and fly anglers (and occasionally have both aboard so I get a fair amount of practice) pulling on hard fighting small tarpon, if we can manage to get them away from bridge pilings and other things that take their toll... As a result of this all of my leaders for casting at fish with spin, plug, or fly casting gear have fluoro on the bitter end (I don't bother with fluoro for heavy bait leaders (except for big tarpon leaders - and then when I use fluoro on an 80lb leader -it's only the last 18" gets the fluoro - the remainder is mono).

14. SFL BassHunter

SFL BassHunter Active Member

There are a lot of factors here though. One you went with 20# mono and then dropped to 10# or 12# pline. That's a fairly good difference in diameters. A more realistic test would be going from 20# mono to 20# Pline, or 12# mono to 12# pline.

The other thing is different lines have different diameters even with the same lb test.

For example I use several mono lines for different applications. If you look at 20lb big game vs 20lb Senshi the diameters are very different.
    I fish more often for snapper than anything else when saltwater fishing, and have noticed that line can be a factor when trying to get bites, even with live bait. For example I use a 15lb red label leader when fishing for snapper off a bridge. The person I was fishing with was using mono, not sure the diameter but it was probably 15-17. Using the same bait she couldn't get a snapper bigger than 8 inches to bite. Meanwhile I was having no problems catching keepers. From mangrove snappers, to yellow tail, and even a hogfish.
    When she switched to the 15lb red label suddenly the size of fish she was catching went up and so did her catch rate.

We even switched places several times before she made the change thinking well maybe the bigger fish are here. That didn't seem to make a difference. The bigger fish gravitated towards me no matter what.

Either way, good luck with PLine, and if it works for you, then stick with it! I have fluoroclear in 20# that I occasionally use. But found that the 15# fluoro works better for what I am doing.

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  15. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I don't have anything against floro I use it on red fish bite leaders and 60/80 lb. for Tarpon
    I mostly use yozuri

16. No Bait / Lures Only

One of the biggest reasons I switch to the Pline fluro coated is the casting distance on my antique baitcasting reels. With my Lews BB1 I now can cast nearly the whole spool with a Fatboy or a Spook Jr with 12#. With my Lews BB1L nearly as far, but I usually only throw the 1/4oz swim baits with the 10# line. In addition the ratio of strikes is great vs the std. mono.