please help me with ss prop selection

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by Toothlesswonder, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Toothlesswonder

Toothlesswonder I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 2007 bass cat phelix with a 25 hp 4 stroke merc. Boat is 530 lbs dry, 17 ft long and 42 inches at the waterline. I have a fixed jackplate installed and the cavitation plate is about 2" higher than the bottom of the transom. My current prop is an aluminum black max 9.5p i had a 13 p aluminum prop on before and it was too much the boat would only run about 20mph. With the 9.5 i run about 26 solo and dont hit the rev limiter. Any suggestions?

2. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

Ken at propgods is great. Give him a ring

3. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

You might want to say what your objectives are.  Speed? Load? Hole shot? Etc.
    Also give you WOT RPMs.
    The guys that know props here will be able to help you better that way.

Swamp

4. Toothlesswonder

I dont currently have a tach, but im working getting one. In turns or with heavy loads the prop ventilates bad and blows out. I have to stop and restart. I would like better overall performance. 9.5p seems low compared to other peoples setups.

5. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

first thing to get is a tach, even the pros like prop gods and powertech will need to know what rpms you are running, then at that point provide you with a few suggestions for different props

6. Toothlesswonder

Got my tach on. Wot with 2 guys no gear is 5970 @ 25.3 mph. I want to make the switch to s.s. what pitch do you suggest i try?

7. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

With 2" above the bottom of the hull you motor would need an 8" setback. I'd start by lowering the jack plate an inch.