Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Delorme Inreach. I have the acr one as well but the delorme has an sos button and you can also text on it which is nice when offshore and places with no signal. You can set it up so the text sends coordinates as well. Imo I feel better having someone reply saying help is coming instead of watching a green light blinking hoping it works :)

Also if you break down offshore etc keeps the wife from worryiNg. Good w all the recent hurricanes as well

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb

This one saved my life and 4 others when we were 70 miles offshore. Small enough to put in a pocket or ditch bag and reasonably priced. No excuse not to have one. Our coordinates got blasted over the radio and a boat in the area picked us up within an hour. We had a handheld VHF which surprisingly kind of worked when we were on the crest of a wave (at water level, the boat was completely gone), so it was good to kind of converse with the CG as well as with the approaching "rescue boat." Another bonus was that if you share your story to ACR in the event you ever have to use it, they send you a new one for free. Not that you ever want to be in that situation for $300, but it's still a nice gesture.

It doesn't really help for the non-emergency situations though, where you might break down and/or need a tow or fuel or something, but I feel like that's what a VHF is for. I would only get something like the Delorme if I already had a PLB or EPIRB (like @jlindsley).

Are you putting together a ditch bag or adding to an existing one?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the ACR GlobalFix PRO. I've never needed to use it, but seems to be a great quality product. IMO your use will determine whether you should get an EPIRB, PLB, other communication like a SPOT tracker, or combination of these products.

For general offshore use in a boat I'd go EPIRB because of extended range, battery life, and the ability to mount it to auto-deploy in the event the boat goes under. If you want it for light duty boating, use on a range of different boats, and/or personal tracking such as hiking, etc then a PLB may be more appropriate. Either way good luck and I hope you never need it! But very smart to be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really just looking for a means of spot locating/two way communication while on extended trips in the glades, in the event things go south. I don't know if a full blown EPIRB is necessary, or if I should just go with something like the SPOT X.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm really just looking for a means of spot locating/two way communication while on extended trips in the glades, in the event things go south. I don't know if a full blown EPIRB is necessary, or if I should just go with something like the SPOT X.
An EPIRB or PLB is great for an emergency to send the calvary but useless for 2-way communication. Sounds like the Delorme or SPOT tracker would serve your purpose well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts