Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Platform Powder coating fix hep needed!

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  slowtyper16 
#1 ·
Hey all,
See attached pics, I have some minor bubbling coming up at two of the feet bases on my platform. I'm looking for options if anyone knows how to take care of this without having to do a full removal and powder coating of the entire structure. The rest of the coating is in perfect condition. I was also looking at just spraying the platform in line-x if my only option to fix the bubbling is to re powder coat the entire platform. I also have used the rustoleum truck liner before and that seems to have a good finish but I'm not sure if that will hold up to saltwater as well? Any thoughts are appreciated, worst case scenario it gives me an excuse to finally weld on a fold up backrest to the platform.
Thanks,
View media item 1947View media item 1946

#5 ·
that's the correct way to put a coating on aluminum !
the chemical etch prime is vital - fail to etch prime,the coating WILL fail !

powder coat - once it begins to pop and bubble,it's all coming off.ANY attempt at repairing it,won't end well. powder coating looks nice,but it will not last - especially rod holders.most rods have metal butts,a metal butt being placed into a pipe,on a moving platform - think about that a few seconds....once the powder coating gets scratched/nicked,it will begin to peel and pop.soon as the mounting screws are tightened in the mounting points,the powder coating in the area is compromised...

#8 ·
Thank you, I was wondering if there was a cheap fix, I guess I have no issues waiting a year to do the whole platform, I just hope that it doesn't eat away the metal and jeopardize the integrity of the structure, I think I overthink these things though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.