Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I fish alone a lot, I was thinking about keeping a fly rod at hand on the poling platform, ready for a quick shot. Was going to fabricate a fly rod holder to mount on the poling platform for the new skiff, but was wondering what some of y'all might use. I looked on anytide's site, but didn't see anything there that would work. I still don't have the skiff yet, so I don't have any dimensions available. I'm thinking something on the port side of the platform, level with the platform deck, that'll hold the rod pointing forward. If anybody has a better idea, I'm all ears.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,330 Posts
Here’s what I tried a while back. It worked but bending down to get the rod in time to sight cast a fish is almost impossible if they are moving.
It’s a Scotty fly rod holder I zip tied to my platform ring to try out for the day. It’s not there any more, just another something for fly line to snag on. I just pole barefoot and hold the fly rod under my big toe now with line stripped out on the deck in front of the platform.
6953CF2C-0F94-4A5E-AD51-E3148648F100.jpeg

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input Mac. MichaelC59, I figured to leave the stripping basket on the deck below the platform, that way I can have line in it stripped off the reel. But I want to be able to access the rod from the platform. My stripping basket is a collapsing laundry basket and I don't think it'd hold my rod up where it's accessible from the platform.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,330 Posts
Thanks for the input Mac. MichaelC59, I figured to leave the stripping basket on the deck below the platform, that way I can have line in it stripped off the reel. But I want to be able to access the rod from the platform. My stripping basket is a collapsing laundry basket and I don't think it'd hold my rod up where it's accessible from the platform.
Can you tell which fly rod holder I have and how it’s mounted? I hate permanent things until I find out if they work for me.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I use a collapsible laundry basket when I fish solo, which is about 95% of the time. I put it on my step up and slightly fold it under the top of my platform. It holds my rod fine. Only time I have any issues is sometimes the wind with blow my rod to the side if it’s strong enough.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Here's what I came up with long ago for spinning or casting rods.. it would be a simple matter to use a rodholder meant for a fly rod instead.... and they do make them.

A basic plastic vertical rodholder tie wrapped into place just under my poling platform - this view is from the inside looking out.... showing the heavy tie wraps

Here it is with a rod inserted ready to reach...

Now that I've shown you how.... I have to say that I long ago gave up on this or similar ideas for fly rods (no matter how nice an idea it looks to be at first glance...). If you're up on the platform, push pole in hand - it just doesn't work well with a fly rod and all the things you need to go right - all while still keeping an eye on your target...

Instead I simply take the fly rod I want, strip off the line needed to make a cast - then leave it all in the bow on the casting deck (where your forward hatch is...)... Now if I see a fish I simply reverse my pushpole so that the point is down, stake out and tether off to the poling platform - then ease down quietly and get to the bow of my skiff where I'm ready to go....

Hope this helps...

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,330 Posts
The best way I have found to keep my fly rod ready while I’m poling regardless of someone is on the bow and the bench is to hang my rod by the reel on the lip of the SFR stripping bucket I hang off of my sissy bar.
View attachment 54606
I was explaining your rig to hipshot on the phone yesterday and forgot to send him photos. He wants the sissy bar on the back but your setup may sway his thinking.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Because I fish alone a lot, I was thinking about keeping a fly rod at hand on the poling platform, ready for a quick shot. Was going to fabricate a fly rod holder to mount on the poling platform for the new skiff, but was wondering what some of y'all might use. I looked on anytide's site, but didn't see anything there that would work. I still don't have the skiff yet, so I don't have any dimensions available. I'm thinking something on the port side of the platform, level with the platform deck, that'll hold the rod pointing forward. If anybody has a better idea, I'm all ears.
I always just keep my stripping bucket on the platform with me, with the rod either in the bucket or resting on the top and the line stripped and ready. Trying to fly fish from the poling platform without a bucket is a disaster from my experience, so many things for your line to hang on compared to the bow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts