Platform Height If Using Furniture PVC?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by WhiteDog70810, Aug 30, 2014.

1. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I need to make some platforms for my boat. I'd love to make steam bent, laminated wood frames, but I don't have the time to mess with that right now. I am going to use furniture PVC for the time being. From what I've seen, there isn't a neat way to stabilize the legs from lateral flexing. What is the maximum height and maximum unsupported span with this material? I'd like my rear platform to be 18" tall with a 30" x 24" top. It has to straddle the tiller and the cockpit, so no center support is possible. I anticipate bringing diagonals into the center from the sides. Can I do this and end up with a strong final product?

Thanks,

Nate

2. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out the same thing as far as the width. With a tiller extension, the front of the platform has to be 48" wide or the turning radius is affected. Not really what I had planned for...That furniture PVC is pretty strong. I would think your dimensions are doable. The fittings are more streamlined and finished looking, so I don't think a T in the legs would look bad at all.

3. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

If you have the transom width to support it, the further back you set the platform, the more turning radius you preserve. Unfortunately, the bow can easily be too light in that scenario. My 1.0 plan is nothing more than a glorified bench that I have to take down when running since I can't imagine actually having a platform higher than the top of this mud motor and nothing less could stay in place. It sounds like you have a similar plan. In your case, I'd consider a permanent platform partially mounted on the transom. I don't think it is long enough for a full transom mount unless you went with one of those cool cantilevered platforms, but that isn't happening with PVC, furniture grade or not.

Thanks,

Nate

4. NoeSmyrnaBch

NoeSmyrnaBch Well-Known Member

I would think, especially with the furniture grade material, it shouldn't be a problem. As a reference point, the rear platform in this picture wound up being 16" once I put the top on it. Too tall for the Gheenoe but it was stable for sure. A lot depends on your size I think too. I'm not a big guy, but it didn't flex at all with me (under 200lbs) and it was only schedule 40 pipe from Home Depot.
    [​IMG]

5. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

Did you have to take it down to run or did the tiller clear it?

6. LWalker

LWalker Well-Known Member

About midway down on this page http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1377801547/210 there is info on mine. My front platform is almost exactly the size you are trying to build.