Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Planning First Build

14880 Views 42 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Pirogue
Hi I'm new here and new to micro skiffs and boat building. I am looking at building a small boat for fishing in volusia county Florida. Mainly rivers such as the halifax, indian, and st John's. I have a few ideas but I would like to keep it very simple to start. As a first build I would like to build a pirogue to learn, or possibly a modified pirogue if possible. By modified I mean flat back with transom, and possibly angling the bow up to handle a small outboard as well as a foam under subfloor. Also really like the frs12 skiff but would like the option of a second angler. Now if a modified pirogue will not work as I hope as I understand they can be unstable, is there any other simple skiffs similar to the frs12 that can handle two anglers? I am pretty handy with my hands and working with wood and have some basic wood working tools.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also forgot to add, I have very limited fiberglass experience besides a few repairs on a boat I used to have but I would like to glass whatever I build unless I stick a basic pirogue then I may just stick to epoxy and paint.

· Mostly Harmless
2,272 Posts
12’ is too small for two people in a narrow hull like a pirogue. Our 14’ was 25” wide at the chine and our 16’ was 28” wide at the chine. I looked at the Gator Boats flatback pirogue plans, but never pulled the trigger and now the site went under. My hull is similar to a flatback pirogue, but now that Photoshop limits links from free accounts, most of my pics are gone. Most flatback pirogue plans I’ve found have some rocker, so HP is limited. The concept is simple enough that you can make one without plans like most folks in the third world.

Nate

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was worried a pirogue was too small, I just love the simplicity of them. Any other ideas for a small simple design? I would like a grab rail, cooler for a seat, and 5hp or so outboard. Just something to scoot around the rivers but stable enough to stand and gig from when id like. I could buy a jon boat and be done with it, but I like the idea of building a small boat like all the ones I have seen.

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
This might do what you’re looking for. The nice thing about the plywood over frame designs is that they are easy to modify.

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_endu.php

It’s built like a pirogue and it’s easy to put 1-2 layers of 6 oz glass on the outside.

If you’re wanting to be able to stand and fish with two people, I’d consider the minimum size to be 14’ long and 36” wide at the chines. This assumes both guys are sub 200 lbs and reasonably agile. A 5 hp isn’t going to plane that, you’ll need a 9.9 minimum in good conditions, a 15 hp would be better. If you don’t mind going slow and are in calm areas the 5 hp should move it at 8-10 mph.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
Here's a simple plywood skiff I designed and built many years ago. Very stable. Flat bottom , 12' long and a 4' beam. 2 people can fish out of it. It would plane with 1 adult and 1 kid with a 6hp 4 stroke.
Water transportation Skiff Boat Vehicle Dinghy

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bass flats I do like that design. Any other pics? I used tape and laid out a 10ft modified pirogue design on the kitchen floor to get a feel for physical size. At 10ft long, 30" bottom, and probably 12" sides, am I setting my self up for failure with a trolling motor? The livewell and Cooler would be glassed in and only 6" high to double as seats.

Attachments

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
Bass flats I do like that design. Any other pics? I used tape and laid out a 10ft modified pirogue design on the kitchen floor to get a feel for physical size. At 10ft long, 30" bottom, and probably 12" sides, am I setting my self up for failure with a trolling motor? The livewell and Cooler would be glassed in and only 6" high to double as seats.
That will be fine for one guy under 200 lbs but you’re not going to take a passenger in it. If you’re planning to sit on the “cooler” portion in the back, the battery needs to go in the bow. That boat will be very sensitive to weight shifts. If you’re pretty agile you should be able to stand up and cast though.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am very agile am young, 24yrs, 160lbs, and have stood in kayaks and canoes but would like a passenger. How big would I need to make it to add a passenger? When I research pirogues and other similar boats I see so much different into on them.

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
If you go to a 13’ x 30” pirogue with a flat stern like you’ve drawn it should handle a passenger in calm conditions. You won’t be able to both stand and cast though, for that I’d recommend a minimum of a 14’ x 36” bottom.

I have a 14’ x 25” bottom pirogue I built, with myself, my wife, and a small soft cooler (300 lbs), it is very close to max capacity. It paddles sluggishly, is tippy, and a very small boat wake will almost come over the tunnel from the side.

I built a 16’ x 27” bottom and it is much more stable, with the same load it sits much higher in the water.

I also have a 14’ x 30” aluminum jon boat, by myself I can stand and pole it from a cooler on top of the seat in dead calm water. With a second person in it, if one is standing and the other is sitting but leans to reach for something it will about knock the person standing out of it.

In my friend’s 14’ x 36” 3 of us were able to stand and cast as long as no one got too crazy.

If you’re up in Tallahassee this summer you’re welcome to try my pirogue and Jon boat, it’s a world if difference.

I also bought a set of the Gator pirogue plans in the past, if they’ve gone under I’d think it would be fine to share them. The plans are basically just construction methods anyways, as most people set their own dimensions. The way they cut the stem is unique but not necessary. There are also several other free or inexpensive pirogue plans online.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
Plywood Boat Dinghy Skiff Scale model
Pirogue, I found one more pic of that skiff. This design is far from being a pirogue. It wasn't intended to be paddled . It poled fine. Obviously, the wider the beam the more stable it will be. I would consider increasing the beam on a 10' boat to 40" if your want to motorize it. Bateau has a few 12' and under motorized boat designs.

Attachments

· I Love microskiff.com!
253 Posts
View attachment 73132 Pirogue, I found one more pic of that skiff. This design is far from being a pirogue. It wasn't intended to be paddled . It poled fine. Obviously, the wider the beam the more stable it will be. I would consider increasing the beam on a 10' boat to 40" if your want to motorize it. Bateau has a few 12' and under motorized boat designs.
You haven't mentioned a budget, so that will of course make a huge difference, because materials are not cheap regardless of the design you choose. I just finished my 4th Bateau boat designed by Jacques Mertens, and depending on your budget you can definitely find a design on the Bateau sight to fit your needs. If you want a Gheenoe style boat, the SC16 is an easy build with minimal materials, stable enough for 2 young thin agile guys, and will plane no problem with a 6hp. Actually a 6hp will probably get you between 15 and 20 mph. If you want a little bit more of a flats boat look, and a better 2 man platform, the SK14 is a great boat. I weigh 175 and I got 16mph with a 6hp. The guy I sold it to put a 20 on it, so I'm sure he's getting in the mid 30's. Using all the best materials, including Okoume plywood, biaxial cloth, Awlgrip paint, and floatation foam under the sole, my cost was $2400 for the SK14. There are a lot of other designs to choose from, and you'll not find a better forum, with better advice and support anywhere, including the designer himself answering most questions within a day unless when he's off the grid on occasion. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I check the sight everyday. Good luck with whatever design you choose, it's a ton of fun I'm including a few shots of the SK14, and the GF16 I just finished. Mike
Vehicle Water transportation Boat Skiff Speedboat
Vehicle Skiff Boat Plant community Automotive exterior

· I Love microskiff.com!
253 Posts
Wow these are all great plans to consider with some nice boats being built. Do yall think a "punt" would suit my applications better? I found free plans for the one below.
That looks like a nice boat, but not seeing the plans it's hard to recommend. Also, you have not said what your budget is, and that will help everyone with giving suggestions. Do you have a $1000 or $10,000 budget? Makes a big difference. Depends also on the materials used. You can use Okoume ply, the best and most expensive, next would be Meranti, than it's all downhill from there. Personally I would not use anything cheaper than Meranti, if you want a good boat, that's fairly light, and will last a long time. The punt shown is similar to the design of the Garvey 16 I pictured above, and it's available in a 14' plan as well. You could eliminate the middle seat and have wide gunwales for support, or 3" frames on the hull sides, leaving the middle of the boat open. Spend time on the Bateau sight and look at tons of pictures and builds, and look at all the study plans for boats in the size range you're looking for. There are a lot of Jacque's boats being built all over Florida, and in countries around the world, so the support on the forum is excellent.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a ton I will check out that site! For a first build I'd like to keep it around $1000. I see I clearly still need to do more research lol. There's so many different types to choose it's crazy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.