:Ping: Computer nerds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JRH, Sep 8, 2007.

1. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

;)

[smiley=1-computergeek.gif]

For whatever reason, the pages on this forum do not completely load. Occasionally when I click on a thread the page stops loading just before the last post. Even hitting refresh doesn't always work. I have to go back to the main forum page and then re-click on the thread. I only have this problem on this forum.

Anyone else experience this? Is it something on my end? I use Mozilla Firefox (v. 2.0.0.6) with a couple add-ons (Adblock plus, FlashGot, NoScript, and Fasterfox).

Thanks

-Jason

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I have run into this a few times myself. Both in Firefox and Safari on a Mac... Reload usually does the trick.

3. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

There are two separate reasons. Both are because pictures are hosted on 3rd party sites.

1. Picture hosting sites sometimes have a delay in serving up content. If this happens then imacattack is correct just refresh your page.

2. I know of one member who hosts their picture at home and then serves up the content on a non-standard port. Many firewalls used by businesses and by schools will block his content. This will cause the page to not fishing loading and there is nothing you can do about it except if you are savvy enough to catch it then you can send him a PM and complain. He may change how he posts his pictures.

4. tom_in_orl

And I am not a nerd. I prefer the term Computer Geek ;D

5. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info nerds...I mean geeks. ;D ;)

6. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

I wonder who Tom could be referring to? [smiley=1-embarassed.gif]

Oh, that's right...me! [smiley=1-biggrin.gif]

Hey, if you guys find this is happening with my posts, let me know. I'll look at changing the port. [smiley=1-computergeek.gif] But, I haven't posted pictures here very often, so if it's happening often enough that you're compaining about it, I doubt it's just with my stuff...I'm not that interesting.  ;)

7. captnron

captnron Guest

What's the difference. :-/ :-/ [smiley=1-biggrin.gif]

8. iMacattack

Chicks!

9. captnron

captnron Guest

You are now. [smiley=1-biggrin.gif]

10. captnron

captnron Guest

Splain. :-?

11. tom_in_orl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek

Geek -"A definition common among self-identified geeks is: "one who is primarily motivated by passion," indicating somebody whose reasoning and decision making is always first and foremost based on his/her passions rather than things like financial reward or social acceptance. Geeks do not see the typical "geeky" interests as interesting, but as objects of passionate devotion. The idea that the pursuit of personal passions should be the fundamental driving force to all decisions could be considered the most basic shared tenet among geeks of all varieties. Geeks consider such pursuits to be their own defining characteristic."

--------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

Nerd, as a stereotypical, archetypal and frequently derogatory designation, refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual or esoteric knowledge or pastimes rather than engaging in social life, such as participating in organized sports or other mainstream social activities.

12. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

So are you a "nerd" or a "geek" for taking the time to google the definitions of both? [smiley=cheesy.gif]

13. tom_in_orl

Beavis wanted to play last week too. Look what happened to him. You want some? ;D

[​IMG]

14. iMacattack

See the nerd definition... no chicks in their lives.

15. captnron

captnron Guest

You don't scare me even with your admin powers. [smiley=tongueout.gif] [smiley=tongueout.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif]

Keep it up and I'll bring the "tippy" bote. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Still LMFAO with that pic. [smiley=1-lmao.gif] [smiley=1-lmao.gif]

16. captnron

captnron Guest

Thanks for clearing that up. ;) Some guys on this forum are soooooooooooo testy. ;D ;D ;D

17. iMacattack

that's right Ron... just keep poking the lion... see if you don't get bit... ;D

18. captnron

captnron Guest

Just cause you use a 21' stiffy. ;D ;D oops, wrong forum. :-[ What's your web site again. ;)

19. iMacattack

careful... that tip is sharp! Never know when it might poke you...

;D

20. captnron

captnron Guest

Funny thing is that the lion still has my Stiffy? ;D ;D Maybe I'll actually bring it home this weekend.