pictures from a hospital pond

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by HighSide25, Jan 10, 2010.

1. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

after taking about 50 pics, these are the only ones that came out decent(in my eyes)

criticize please, how could i have made them different?

shot with a Canon Rebel XS and Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.5 lens

THANKS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Many of them look over exposed (dark) Try shooting one or two F stops lower (might be higher I forget). Also see if you can change the color saturation on your camera to vivid.

Weedy turned me on to this instructional video series. I highly recommend getting the one for your camera. It will help a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-DVD-Guides-Canon/dp/1600595014

3. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Good Quality. A tad dark. But I can tell that it was a poor lighting rather than user error. Try using a slower shutter speed to brighten them up a little bit. Other than that all you other settings were good.

4. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

The exif data from your photos shows you have motion blur from too low a shutter speed. At 300mm you need to be shooting at 1/250 second and preferably faster than that. The first and last photos were shot at only 1/60. In a situation like this you could choose AV mode, boost your ISO to 800 and make sure your aperture is wide open (which it was). Even at ISO 800 your shutter speed would be low on most of the shots, so leaning against something to steady the camera would have helped.

By using the P mode, the camera was making some of those choices for you, resulting in too low a shutter speed. On a bright sunny day you probably would not have had a problem shooting with the setting you had (ISO 400 and F5.6 or thereabouts).

Just look at your settings and remember your shutter speed should be your focal length or faster (100mm=1/100second,  250mm=1/250 second). If you can't get that shutter speed, then lean on something or increase your ISO.

Hope this helps you.

5. HighSide25

WOW....
    tom, i just youtubed my camera and found i have a "liveview" setting. learned a bit more

CM, thanks a bunch. i never heard of the 1/100 per 100mm rule before, plus all the other info

yes it was overcast and the sun was setting down.

how did you find the stats on the pics?

6. Canoeman

"how did you find the stats on the pics? "

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

7. skinny_water

Nice, I know what I am doing when I get home. ;)

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Most of them would have looked better had they been shot with a Benelli....

-T

9. Canoeman

I can almost hear the folks at PETA trying hard not to laugh at that one.

10. HighSide25

i was thinking a red ryder or sling shot at 5am with a small light. they got to be tasty. they barely fly, and all they eat is bread and popcorn. yummy

11. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Take em! seems to be a little crossbreeding going on in that pond.

12. skinny_water

Yeah, but you know the kids in the last pic named them all....