Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting a new trolling motor for my scout sportsman 145. I would like to stick with a 12v system as I do not want to have to add two batteries. I think these are the two that I’m trying to decide between. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/minn-kota-riptide-maxxum-bow-mount-saltwater-trolling-motor

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Min...w-Mount-Bluetooth-Trolling-Motor-with-CoPilot

Would love to hear about people’s experience with these. This would be used 95% of the time for sight fishing redfish on the flats and trout fishing the dock lights at night.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
463 Posts
If you're not going to spring for the remote controlled unit with GPS (the iPilot model), I would get the hand controlled. IMO, the co-pilot option does not offer the advantages of a remote controlled trolling motor. If you can swing it, get the iPilot option. You'll enjoy the anchor mode when you're fishing docks and you'll enjoy the "maintain course" option when fishing shorelines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get the ipilot. If mine broke, I would buy a new one tomorrow. Mine is the 55 lb. 12-volt version. Pushes my J14 perfectly all day with a series 31 battery. I haven't used an anchor in 2 years.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to have the Ipilot but I cannot convince my wife to let me spend that much right now. It is my understanding that the co-pilot can be upgraded for about 400$. If I were to get the copilot I would eventually add that on.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How many anchors and ropes do you have to lose before it pays for itself?
I can also fish wrecks along the shipping channel without worrying about taking water over the bow.
How much does your wife love you? Do you have really good life insurance.
I haven't used an anchor since I got the Xi-5.

·
Read Only
37 Posts
Love my Xi 3 . All day long on my Gheenoe with group 31 . Amazing how slow you can actually go.
About to suggest the Xi3, think they have a rebate on them right now. Run an Xi5 on my 16' skiff with a group 24 battery, have yet to put it in the yellow with that battery.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
Ipilot. Worth it to save a little extra money until you can get it. I usually pole or drift but when I want to use it, it makes all the difference. Anchor mode and autopilot are game changers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts