Photo software programs - which do you like the best and why?

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by ddegeorge, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ddegeorge

ddegeorge I Love microskiff.com!

I am interested in hearing about the different software programs for enhancing photos.  Will be in the market for a software program in the next couple of months. 

Feedback on which program you use and what features do you like the best will be greatly appreciated.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I use the latest version of GIMP

http://www.gimp.org/

Free is good... [smiley=happy.gif]

Nothing I do with a camera will ever be helped by commercial software.
    I could never make use of all the options offered.
    Gimp allows me to resize, crop, rotate, sharpen, tint, clone, brighten and touch up images.
    That's about all I use it for. Gets the job done

Another freebie that I use almost every day is IrfanView.
    Quick and easy viewing of images, quick edits for images I save off the web.

http://www.irfanview.com/

3. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Photoshop Element

I love it. You can adjust everything from lightening shadows, to bumping your Saturation. Also you can do all the special effects like making the photo "vintage" looking, layering. Also comes with a great following. If you every have a question or want to learn something new just go to google and type in "how do I ************ using photoshop element (version)" and you will get video tutorials.

Also allows you to do a watermark feature for all your pics.

Any other questions about photoshop I would be glad to help.

-Richard

4. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Photoshop also it allows you to edit pictures in RAW format

5. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I've been using Adobe Photoshop for a while.
    Right now, I'm using CS3.

6. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

You can get a free download of Lightroom 3 at Adobe's site right now. I think it's good until about April. After that the software is around $300.

7. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

canoeman, thanks for the heads up. Could you throw up a link to it. I only see Lightroom 2 up there, which we have but would love to get a free upgrade to V3 if possible.

8. Canoeman

Here you go:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Good until April 30.

9. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link. So from what I can tell this is not the full version, just a preview for Vs. Is that correct?

10. Canoeman

I believe it's the full version. They might find a few things to add or delete based on feedback. I've been using it for about 2 months and have had no problems at all. Some nice improvements over LR2. If you make adjustments to some photos that you want to keep, be sure to export the photos to another file. All of your LR internal adjustments will expire with the program on Apr 30.