Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using when fishing solo? I’d really like a waist belt one, but I can’t seem to find one that is hydrostatic as opposed to manual. Is the vest style like the Mustang the way to go when fishing solo?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wear a belt manual, and I love the thing. I literally forget it is there. They don't make a belt style automatic though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
West Mariine has a pretty good selection.. they have the Mustang MIT-100 on sale for $129.99, normally $179.99, but that sale ends today 5/5. Just looked it up and online they show it as $129.99/$179.99, but the flyer I got in te mail said $139.99/$189.99.

I have a waist style and yes its manual, the reason its manual is that its like a 3 step process to properly deploy, after pulling the rip cord you need to pull the PFD up and over your head or you'll be floating belly or butt up form your waist and your face/head could be still under water. It's Co2 charged with rip cord and manually inflatable.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
the argument here is......if u fall overboard while running the boat is likely going to take a hard rt. and may then run your floating butt over or you get knocked out going overboard and become crab bait....place your bet for automatic or manual.......

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
my one fear when by myself is somehow going in when I'm on the cooler running the trolling motor. I'm old(er) and not a good swimmer so would be left behind quickly. being left floating in a life jacket isn't all that appealing either. Have thought
20141011-145012.jpg
about a harness and 6 ft tether like the racing sailboat guys use, at least might be able to pull myself back in the boat. when running the outboard I wear my kill switch lanyard.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
the argument here is......if u fall overboard while running the boat is likely going to take a hard rt. and may then run your floating butt over or you get knocked out going overboard and become crab bait....place your bet for automatic or manual.......
Keel switch yo

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
For years and years I ran solo - long miles into the backcountry in all kinds of weather - and never wore a PFD... My son, after a year or two in the Coast Guard, bought me a Mustang manual model - and that's what I wear now whenever I'm running solo... The manual model is a bit cheaper (and won't inflate unless you want it to....).

By the way - Mustang is pretty much top of the line for anyone wanting an inflatable... That's what the CG uses...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question on the Mustang inflatables for everyone. How rugged are they? Reason I ask is because of conversations I have had with commercial fishers in Newfoundland.
I was all hot to buy a couple for when myself and the little lady fish cod offshore in NL. Most all of my friends work in the commercial fishery. I frequently noticed Mustang PFD's hanging in their stores. ( Newfoundland term for a very large shed or storage building ) I don't seem to see them on the commercial wharf or aboard vessels I have been on. Seeing one hanging on the wall in a gear storage building one day I mentioned that I wanted to get a couple. A couple of the crew immediately spoke up and said " yuse don't want dat, my son". I was surprised. Their concern about them seems to be inadvertently damaging the device and it losing the ability to stay inflated. And, their thoughts were it might be damaged and the user would not know it until it was too late! Seems like they were the rage for a while, but recently there are quite a few relegated to hang on a nail in someones store.
I am certain they subject them to much harsher use than what sport fisherman would. I know the ones I saw looked pretty well used.
Just looking for thoughts and comments. Not looking for a debate on the subject.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Question on the Mustang inflatables for everyone. How rugged are they?
Seeing one hanging on the wall in a gear storage building one day I mentioned that I wanted to get a couple. A couple of the crew immediately spoke up and said " yuse don't want dat, my son". I was surprised. Their concern about them seems to be inadvertently damaging the device and it losing the ability to stay inflated. And, their thoughts were it might be damaged and the user would not know it until it was too late! ....
So did you ask, or see, what PFD these commercial guys do use ?
Pretty much every LEO here wears the Mustang, so that should say something.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts