Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve dedicated the last year to trying to catch a permit on fly by myself. I’ve learned a lot from all the failed shots but the biggest lesson is that making fly fishing for permit more difficult is just torture.

I’m not interested in pursuing other gamefish until this box is checked, this includes passing up shots on bones and tarpon. I’m happy to pole someone else to another fish but I will pass in hopes that the black tailed devil is around the corner. If anyone in the Biscayne Bay area is like minded and is willing to put in equal time on the poling platform please let me know. I have a great skiff for the bay and I’m happy to put in time on someone else’s skiff too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don’t have a skiff but willing to pole and learn as much as possible. I primarily fish the bay with my dad out of his 22’ pathfinder or my buddys 17’ hpx. Let me know if you need someone to push you to your dream!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve dedicated the last year to trying to catch a permit on fly by myself. I’ve learned a lot from all the failed shots but the biggest lesson is that making fly fishing for permit more difficult is just torture.

I’m not interested in pursuing other gamefish until this box is checked, this includes passing up shots on bones and tarpon. I’m happy to pole someone else to another fish but I will pass in hopes that the black tailed devil is around the corner. If anyone in the Biscayne Bay area is like minded and is willing to put in equal time on the poling platform please let me know. I have a great skiff for the bay and I’m happy to put in time on someone else’s skiff too.
There are plenty of permit in Biscayne bay. Perseverance will pay off. Find a spot where permit like to pass. Take note of the tide when they show up. Set up and wait for the shot.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are plenty of permit in Biscayne bay. Perseverance will pay off. Find a spot where permit like to pass. Take note of the tide when they show up. Set up and wait for the shot.
That’s what I’m doing now and I’m finding fish. My two biggest issues are seeing fish before they get to close (I’m on bow casting platform) and staying in one spot without trolling motor. Staying in one spot is difficult on hard bottom areas, not edges of flats. Any advice, I do not have a power pole?

Thanks for the reassurance that it can be done.

·
waterman 16
497 Posts
That’s what I’m doing now and I’m finding fish. My two biggest issues are seeing fish before they get to close (I’m on bow casting platform) and staying in one spot without trolling motor. Staying in one spot is difficult on hard bottom areas, not edges of flats. Any advice, I do not have a power pole?

Thanks for the reassurance that it can be done.
Small rock anchor with short rode. No chain. No clinking....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
I get down to Key Biscayne 4-5 times a year with my Mitzi when the tides are right and it’s flat calm.
If I’m free , I’ll gladly pole you around some. I’m about hour north so I can get down there pretty easily .
Permit on the fly has been on my list this year but 2 kids , new house and work have keep distracting me…

Chris

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,490 Posts
What flies are you using. I'm going to be off some days from work in late September,October and can fly for free

Reactions: Str8-Six

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty cool to have multiple people reach out interested in the same goal. We have a great community on this site and I’m sure if we put some of us together one of us will catch a permit eventually haha. For those of you that reached out or responded, I’m not ignoring you, I’ve just been too busy with family, work, etc. to go fishing - which is probably my biggest problem. Till then I’ll be researching rock anchors and tying shitty permit flies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pretty cool to have multiple people reach out interested in the same goal. We have a great community on this site and I’m sure if we put some of us together one of us will catch a permit eventually haha. For those of you that reached out or responded, I’m not ignoring you, I’ve just been too busy with family, work, etc. to go fishing - which is probably my biggest problem. Till then I’ll be researching rock anchors and tying shitty permit flies.
I’ve caught 115 permit on fly within permit tournament regulations.

I don’t have the time to pole you to your fish, but would be more than happy to listen to your goal and give you a little insight.

If I was on the back of your boat, you would be cheating yourself of the goal.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Two small pieces of advice - around Biscayne Bay many permit keep the same "schedule" day after day. In other words if you see a group of fish crossing a bank one hour after the high tide - there's a great chance you'll see them again - and right on schedule - one hour after that same tide.. on another day. This little tidbit was taught to me nearly 45 years ago - and it's still valid today.... I'll tell anyone - each time you find or see permit - look at your watch and make a note of the time.... then at the end of the day, sit down with a beverage and compare your times to what the tide stage was for that day and time... Pretty quickly you should start to see some patterns emerge... Bonefish wander, but permit keep to routines if not spooked away from them in my experience.

Secondly, and this if from personal experience... try not to fish permit in areas with lots of sea fans... I had to learn the hard way since every one I hooked (back then it was using spinning and live crab...) just scooted to the nearest sea fan then spun around it cutting itself free... Wish I could say that I learned quickly -but the truth is that someone in the fishing club I belonged to back in the seventies explained that I could expect that result every time in areas with lots of sea fans... Fortunately there's lots and lots of places that hold permit - without those darned fans...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Two small pieces of advice - around Biscayne Bay many permit keep the same "schedule" day after day. In other words if you see a group of fish crossing a bank one hour after the high tide - there's a great chance you'll see them again - and right on schedule - one hour after that same tide.. on another day. This little tidbit was taught to me nearly 45 years ago - and it's still valid today.... I'll tell anyone - each time you find or see permit - look at your watch and make a note of the time.... then at the end of the day, sit down with a beverage and compare your times to what the tide stage was for that day and time... Pretty quickly you should start to see some patterns emerge... Bonefish wander, but permit keep to routines if not spooked away from them in my experience.

Secondly, and this if from personal experience... try not to fish permit in areas with lots of sea fans... I had to learn the hard way since every one I hooked (back then it was using spinning and live crab...) just scooted to the nearest sea fan then spun around it cutting itself free... Wish I could say that I learned quickly -but the truth is that someone in the fishing club I belonged to back in the seventies explained that I could expect that result every time in areas with lots of sea fans... Fortunately there's lots and lots of places that hold permit - without those darned fans...
The old “get a bucket of Dions chicken, stake the boat out on a flat and watch” method. Works like a charm.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,010 Posts

I retired end of June--I'm down for that!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts