Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to fish the Pere Marquette and Muskegon rivers in MI week before last. Caught a few Browns a few Rainbows, but did best with the Steelhead. Had a really good time, first time catching Steelhead. I stayed at the Red Moose Lodge in Baldwin, MI, and fished with the owner/guide Clint Anderson, great guy and great guide. I was amazed how hard these fish pulled, they would run out in the fast water and turn sideways, then it felt like I was hung on a bottom or something equally immobile.

Steelhead were responding to Fry patterns and Nymphs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks cold! But the colors on those fish are awesome

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm currently on a project in NW Indiana so I was only about 3.5 hrs away, I figured I should had up there since I had the opportunity.

It probably looks cooler than it was, I think it was about 45 windy and rainy, but I'm from a long line of Floridians so I don't enjoy the cold.

I want to go back up and night fish waking patterns in the summer for some of those monster Browns.

I will say that Pere Marquette river definitely forced me to hone my roll casting skills. I'm not an expert roll caster but did more in one day than I probably had in my whole life. Lots of trees and logs close to and in the river.

·
Brandon, FL
12,308 Posts
You have the St. Joseph river right by you. It has tremendous steelie action and now with the ice gone you should be able to get some salmon off the piers or take a charter.

There is a hidden gem called Hickory Creek. Fish between Cleveland A. and Maiden Lane.

While you are there go to Warren Dunes and climb them. Then go jump in the lake and report back on how refreshing the water is. Hehe

In IN you have Trail Creek in Michigan City, Little Calumet, Kankakee.

If you are into literature you need to take the drive and flip the fly on the Two Hearted River and tip a whiskey and soda to Papa.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have the St. Joseph river right by you. It has tremendous steelie action and now with the ice gone you should be able to get some salmon off the piers or take a charter.

There is a hidden gem called Hickory Creek. Fish between Cleveland A. and Maiden Lane.

While you are there go to Warren Dunes and climb them. Then go jump in the lake and report back on how refreshing the water is. Hehe

In IN you have Trail Creek in Michigan City, Little Calumet, Kankakee.

If you are into literature you need to take the drive and flip the fly on the Two Hearted River and tip a whiskey and soda to Papa.
Thanks Duck,

Are from this area?

I've been thinking about the Kankakee and the Joe. I've got a friend that I tie flies with occasionally that is a excellent Spey fisherman that fishes both of those. If I can get away from this job for a day or two I'm going to try and go.He's helped me some with my Spey casting but I'm definitely still not there. I need to spend some more time with him before I leave.

I'll likely be done here by the end of June and headed home to the panhandle to try and chase Tarpon.

I've never read that book but I've heard of it, I would like to go to the UP to see the pictured rocks area

I have waded in the lake with waders trying to chase some of those monster carp and I still froze my ass off, so no polar bear club for me.....

·
Brandon, FL
12,308 Posts
Yes and no. I am from MI but not there. I have family in Joe and BH.

Too bad you are leaving so early. In the fall you can go down on the beach by the power plant and sight cast for salmon in the big lake.

The UP is insanely beautiful. On just about any clear night you can see the northern lights. Although they are best on a cold late November night.

If you are looking for things to do send me a pm. I know MI and Chicago. No real use for the armpit area so I only know a few fishing holes there.

You really should try to stay through the fall. So much to do that you can't do in FL.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes and no. I am from MI but not there. I have family in Joe and BH.

Too bad you are leaving so early. In the fall you can go down on the beach by the power plant and sight cast for salmon in the big lake.

The UP is insanely beautiful. On just about any clear night you can see the northern lights. Although they are best on a cold late November night.

If you are looking for things to do send me a pm. I know MI and Chicago. No real use for the armpit area so I only know a few fishing holes there.

You really should try to stay through the fall. So much to do that you can't do in FL.

I appreciate that, if we get done with our tie-ins and wrap up in a reasonable amount of time, I may get some free time. If so I'll PM you and get some info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.