Peeps from Charleston

Discussion in 'Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina' started by Padre, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

I have got a sea foam green Ankona Native SUV 17. Staying in the last house on the north end of Goat Island.

2. richg99

richg99 1652 G3; Malibu Mini-X kayak

What a great site this is!

3. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

Hey, when I was polling today, the foot of my GLommis push pole came off in the mud. So is there anywhere around here to buy (1) a new foot and have it put on my old pole or (2) that sells push poles? Thanks for any ideas. This just put a damper on my vacation for fishing.

4. CHS on the FLY

CHS on the FLY Active Member

Call the guys at The Charleston Angler in Mt. Pleasant or Haddrell's. they both sell Stiffys but I'm not sure if they can fix your push poll.

Padre likes this.
  5. cypressswamp

cypressswamp Active Member

Great outfitter.

6. seanW918

seanW918 I Love microskiff.com!

Just came across this thread and thought I would ask a few questions as well. I will probably be going down to this area in Aug/Sept to fish the flood tides. I should be there for 4-5 days and am looking for a place to stay that is reasonably priced with maybe some protection for the boat. It would be nice to have some secure boat storage and possibly somewhere to rinse/flush the boat in the evenings. Any other info would be greatly appreciated as well.

7. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

I found this 3 bedroom house on Goat Island for $1625 a week and it has a lift. But you will have to pay to park you car and trailer. https://www.vrbo.com/3895138ha

8. seanW918

That's a little more than what I was thinking about spending, I was thinking more along the lines of a B&B or something gated with secure parking for the car/boat but thanks for the info

9. CHS on the FLY

What boat do you have? I might can find a place for you to park it if you leave it on the trailer. Tides will be good mid-August and the beginning of September.

Padre likes this.
  10. seanW918

HB guide. The tide info I am looking at is saying that Aug 17-21 and Sept 13-19 will be the times to be down that way but I could be looking at it wrong, I have been looking for tides around +6. I'm looking at a tide app and saltwatertides.com for IOP and Snake Island. I have looked at the houses listed above and the one on Goat Island listed on VRBO is booked for Aug but not yet in Sept. I am looking at other houses on VRBO in IOP, Goat Island, Sullivans and Folly. If I can find a house close by with a driveway big/long enough to get my boat backed in a night that's all I need. That place on goat island looks pretty sick and from google earth it looks like there's good spots in that general area and it would be a great home base. But I will more than likely be by myself so I can get something smaller and cheaper if I look around some. I just don't want to have to stay at a motel and leave my boat exposed at night. I'm not really all that crazy about leaving my car/trailer at the IOP marina if I rent one of the Goat Island houses either.

11. CHS on the FLY

Padre was just here and stayed on Goat so he can share his experience. I live here and fish out of IOP and will help any way I can.

12. seanW918

I talked to him a little. I appreciate all of the help guys. I just need to narrow it down to the area I want to fish and find a house with access close by.

13. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

The house next to me was a one bedroom. It is not listed on VRBO. I think I can get the contact for you though if you want it. But the dock does not have lift though.

14. seanW918

I have reserved a room through airB&B on fort Johnson rd for the third week in Aug. Looks like there are two ramps close by, the Sol Legare and the Folly beach if anyone has any insight on those ramps let me know. I will be there from the 16th through the 18th, if anyone would like to get on the boat one evening I will be by myself and would welcome the company. Also would appreciate any info on where I could fuel up around that area, ethanol free.

15. CHS on the FLY

Lots of great areas over there. I don't fish that side of town so I will have to defer to others.

16. A_Wall

A_Wall 16 Bonefisher

There are tons of good flood tide spots in that area. The gas station on the corner of Sol Legare Rd. has non-ethanol fuel as well as the Blue Wave on Folly Rd. There is also a $1 car wash at the intersection Folly and Camp to spray off your boat.

17. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

I put in at sol legare almost every time i fish. do some google scouting but you can't go wrong. give me a shout if you'd like when you get down here.

18. seanW918

Thanks for all the help guys, sounds like I picked the right area. I've been studying google earth and have found quite a few good looking spots. That's a beautiful area, lots of potential.

19. seanW918

One last thing, I'm trying to get some stuff tied up for the trip. Do I need to get some patterns tied up in some of the off colors like black/purple or blue/yellow? Most of the things I use up here are in more natural colors so I don't have much in the way of some of those other colors tied up. I have plenty of spoon flies twisted up in different colors but not much else. Also any help on specific patterns would appreciated.

20. CHS on the FLY

People around here are serious about their black and purple flies.