Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They're getting bigger... our state record was around 9lbs and I believe someone's beaten it. The peacocks stocked here in Florida are at the extreme north end of their possible range so probably don't grow at all in winter. The ones down in the jungle grow constantly year 'round - and probably have a much better food source than where we are... That's just a guess on my part, but I'm pretty sure it's close to the mark...

·
Registered
779 Posts
After you have had you fill of Peacock, Ciclids, Oscar, Jaguar's.. you'll find your self wanting more and need to head a little North into Broward and Palm Beach to stalk Snakeheads, Klwon Knife fish, and some Hybrid-stripped bass.

Then you'll realize Inshore salty stuff is the place to be.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,732 Posts
I used to fly fish the canals for peacocks in Ft. Lauderdale. Fun fish to catch and also oscars.

Back in the day I used to work at Busch Gardens in their zoological department when I was at USF. We used to hold all the contraband animals for the Tampa area. One summer we had a tank full of juvi Nile Perch. Not tilapia, but the monsters that could grow to 7 feet from Africa. Had those crazy mirrored eyes. Anyways, they sure would be fun to catch. This state is over run with everything else anyways.

·
Registered
Ankona caicos
6 Posts
The oscars and peacocks are an absolute blast on a 3wt and have even caught them on a 1wt when you don't have to cast far. The peacocks are unbelievably fast. Like a freshwater tuna when they eat

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,057 Posts
I used to fly fish the canals for peacocks in Ft. Lauderdale. Fun fish to catch and also oscars.

Back in the day I used to work at Busch Gardens in their zoological department when I was at USF. We used to hold all the contraband animals for the Tampa area. One summer we had a tank full of juvi Nile Perch. Not tilapia, but the monsters that could grow to 7 feet from Africa. Had those crazy mirrored eyes. Anyways, they sure would be fun to catch. This state is over run with everything else anyways.
I'm not saying you absolutely should have dumped those Nile Perch in the Hillsborough River but maybe, lol.

The funny thing is the rumor has always been that's what the tilapia that got dumped were supposed to be and not tilapia.

I'd love to fish for Nile perch and big Barramundi.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah my son and I have discussed hitting those canals for a day trip, any other good spots to launch down there? On the way down to the keys we stopped off the Tamiami Trail for a few hours to fish and I caught a pretty big Oscar. Was kind of surreal to catch a fish you'd normally see in a pet store lol.

We didn't catch any peacocks tho, saw them but they weren't biting. Definitely on the bucket list to catch a peacock.

Could you post a map link to the spot you launched? I don't remember seeing any exits off Alligator Alley to do that.
There are a few ramps on both sides of I 75. Do your homework bro. Google earth is that good.

·
Registered
779 Posts
One thing to be aware of with many of the ramps on the Alley is that there is no turn-around, If heading East or West when you leave you will still be heading the same direction. Some people cross over in the median but if its been rainy it is easy to get stuck, there are paved turn-arounds but are "signed" for official use only and you could be ticked if caught u-turning on them. You may have to drive a few miles to the next legal turn around area.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here are the two legal turnarounds that we use... The first isn't obvious but the rest area and ramps at MM 35 does include a turnaround (both ways...). The next one is at MM 50 - the Miccosukee service center... Past that your only turnaround are the few rest areas...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts