Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

What is your favorite bait to catch Peacock bASS?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some new MirrOlure's Suspending Twitchbaits for Peacock bASS'n this weekend. The first one I tried is the C-Eye Pro Series C17MR-PSB Suspending Twitchbait (http://www.shopmirrolure.com/pro-mirrodine/eye-pro-series-c17mr-psb-suspending-twitchbait/c17mr-psb-p-325.html). Caught three on this bait in the first half-hour.

Will try the MirrOdine 17MR-21 Suspending Twitchbait (http://www.shopmirrolure.com/mirrodine/mirrodine-17mr-21-suspending-twitchbait/17mr-21-p-154.html) tomorrow. Very happy with these artificial baits for catching Peacock bASS...

Catching these Peacock bASS, in my lake in Naples, Florida, with artificial baits is something that I'm extremely excited about. No Live-Bait to worry about. Conditions when these fish were caught is a light wind, partly cloudy, ambient temperature 75, and water temperature around 72.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Guess an angler (or two) brought a few over from the east coast.... Don't believe any of the stockings years ago were over there so it's cool y'all have
peas over on that side of paradise.

We've been using that #17 Mirrolure ever since it first came out - whenever a shallow running suspending hardbait was the ticket - they work great!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nice Peacocks... I hear of a few being caught on the west end.. near Golden Gate, you must be on a lake connected unless someone accidently put a few in your lake...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess an angler (or two) brought a few over from the east coast.... Don't believe any of the stockings years ago were over there so it's cool y'all have
peas over on that side of paradise.

We've been using that #17 Mirrolure ever since it first came out - whenever a shallow running suspending hardbait was the ticket - they work great!
Was told by a few residents that SOMEONE did place a few in here, but I believe they are too big for the time frame they said. Another resident told me that our lake is connected to the outside world. So, I really don't know how they got here, but I'm happy they are. Love my Peas....

·
Paddling away...
6,354 Posts
That's cool. I know peacock's exist in the everglades. I know a few guys catching them off US41, and I know a couple people who have caught them in Hell's Bay in Flamingo. They can make the swim across from the east coast. I got a few buddies who target them in the golden gate area with success quite a bit. Heck, Mayan Cichlids are taking over WWB, even catching Mayan Cichlids in the rivers out west. It's crazy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I couldn't believe it when I saw Myan Cichlids and Tilapia in an area of Matlacha Pass where the salinity is pretty high. They have to have an impact on juvenile game fish.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
About 10 years ago I used to go fishing in a pond an access road on the way to Goodland. Its been closed for years but it used to get snook, tarpon, snakeheads, gators. I really miss fishing there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About 10 years ago I used to go fishing in a pond an access road on the way to Goodland. Its been closed for years but it used to get snook, tarpon, snakeheads, gators. I really miss fishing there.
I've fished there before, and never caught anything....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Threw everything and the kitchen sink....
Seems that I have better luck on lakes and fishing inshore (Blackwater river area).
Would like to fish some of the canals off Alligator Alley if anyone knows this area...???

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Threw everything and the kitchen sink....
Seems that I have better luck on lakes and fishing inshore (Blackwater river area).
Would like to fish some of the canals off Alligator Alley if anyone knows this area...???
I know a local guide that was telling me about the small lakes off the side of the road by port of the isles. He puts in a gheenoe there and says he has good luck with juvenile tarpon.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts