Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer on Thursday blocked a Republican bill that would pay the Coast Guard without ending the ongoing partial government shutdown.

Republican Senator John Kennedy, who attempted to move the legislation forward, refused Schumer’s request to add provisions reopening the federal government because, he said, such a bill would not be signed by President Trump.

“It will be a futile, useless exercise. Now, we can go through it if you want to. You can spend all day trying to teach a goat how to climb a tree, but you’re better off hiring a squirrel,” said Kennedy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I love Kennedy. He's the only federal level politician I have felt good voting for in a long time. I donated a couple 100 gift cards to the local CG station yesterday. One young woman who received one broke down and cried. Some of these younger folks in the CG are living paycheck to paycheck. When they missed the first one, they had no idea how they were going to buy groceries.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
I'm over the "poor gov't employee" narrative. At the end of the day they all go back to work and all of them get the pay they "missed".

Those of us in the private sector live with uncertainty all the time...layoffs, furloughs, re-orgs, RIFs (reduction in force), etc. And we don't get back pay when a "shutdown" is over...especially not when gov't actions crush a business or an industry and are the root cause of our losses.

My dad was in the textile industry back when NAFTA was enacted. My hometown was crushed when the two major employers in the county were effectively torpedoed. None of our families got "back pay" from the gov't...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The real issue is to see just what most people missed out on in their normal daily routine? Not a damn thing. Our government has gotten way too big but its only gonna get worse as long as we the people keep electing idiots who think its the government's job to take care of us everyday.

Yes AOC I am talking to you!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The real issue is to see just what most people missed out on in their normal daily routine? Not a damn thing. Our government has gotten way too big but its only gonna get worse as long as we the people keep electing idiots who think its the government's job to take care of us everyday.

Yes AOC I am talking to you!
Like ah like she is like ah like a idiot!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm over the "poor gov't employee" narrative. At the end of the day they all go back to work and all of them get the pay they "missed".

Those of us in the private sector live with uncertainty all the time...layoffs, furloughs, re-orgs, RIFs (reduction in force), etc. And we don't get back pay when a "shutdown" is over...especially not when gov't actions crush a business or an industry and are the root cause of our losses.

My dad was in the textile industry back when NAFTA was enacted. My hometown was crushed when the two major employers in the county were effectively torpedoed. None of our families got "back pay" from the gov't...
I don’t quite see the correlation from NAFTA to paying members of our military but I get it. Hopefully a lot of people will learn from this and keep a couple pay checks in savings. As an active duty Coastie for the last 17 years it was quite remarkable seeing the outpouring of support from businesses and private citizens making donations the help those in tight spots out. If y’all donated I thank you!

·
Registered
733 Posts
@crboggs I hear you. Anyone laid off around 2007 when the economy took a shit? I was. I dont recall anyone coming to rescue me. I had to go out and find a new job and create other ways to make money. Then work a second job once I found a job to help make up lost salary. I didnt just get all my missed pay once I found a new job, plus it took longer than 35 or days to find a new job... Sorry if I seem harsh, but life aint ever easy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
679 Posts
I can remember living frugally and also living paycheck to paycheck when I was in the USCG in 1980. Lessons learned over life, but these younger people need to find away to put away enough money to live a couple months or have credit available to get them by during a shutdown. It is an unfortunate fact these days working for the federal government.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I would have to agree with this. It should not come as a surprise when you are working for an organization that is 21 plus trillion in debt run by two parties that will not compromise... 21 plus trillion in debt and you miss some paychecks which will later be reimbursed!?!

·
Administrator
5,765 Posts
I don’t quite see the correlation from NAFTA to paying members of our military but I get it. Hopefully a lot of people will learn from this and keep a couple pay checks in savings. As an active duty Coastie for the last 17 years it was quite remarkable seeing the outpouring of support from businesses and private citizens making donations the help those in tight spots out. If y’all donated I thank you!
we things go south ....American's will take care of American's
but those up on the hill wont for each other.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
As an active duty Coastie for the last 17 years it was quite remarkable seeing the outpouring of support from businesses and private citizens making donations the help those in tight spots out.
I used NAFTA as an example of a situation where thousands of private sector citizens lost their jobs, careers, and livelihoods as a direct result of gov't legislation. None of those people got back pay. None of them got feel good stories in the media about donation drives and etc. Most of them had to start over from scratch...without a small fraction of the support gov't workers are receiving and most certainly without back pay.

I have great respect for the Coast Guard. I've had two neighbors (one lived immediately next door) who were stationed at the Clearwater base. One was a pilot and the other was an AMT and hoist operator. They've since moved on to bases in Kodiak and Cape Cod. I also have a brother-in-law who is active duty Army stationed in Oahu (Hickam) right now.

So my opinion wasn't formed in a vacuum. My family and social circle is littered with active duty and veteran military.

You guys didn't lose anything. Your pay was delayed a couple of cycles. And for this you received thousands of dollars in donations from thankful citizens who gave freely.

That's pretty cool. But now that you're going to get paid and now that you are going to receive back pay, how many of those gift cards and donations are you going to return? I guess now they are just gravy that was stirred up by the media angst over the gov't shutdown?

I guess you could call all the donations a "bonus" on top of the back pay?

I may sound harsh and unappreciative, but that's because those of us in the private sector routinely deal with situations (caused by the gov't) that put our jobs at risk. And we routinely work OT off the clock without pay. And we sometimes don't even get severance when we get laid off...much less time off with back pay...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used NAFTA as an example of a situation where thousands of private sector citizens lost their jobs, careers, and livelihoods as a direct result of gov't legislation. None of those people got back pay. None of them got feel good stories in the media about donation drives and etc. Most of them had to start over from scratch...without a small fraction of the support gov't workers are receiving and most certainly without back pay.

I have great respect for the Coast Guard. I've had two neighbors (one lived immediately next door) who were stationed at the Clearwater base. One was a pilot and the other was an AMT and hoist operator. They've since moved on to bases in Kodiak and Cape Cod. I also have a brother-in-law who is active duty Army stationed in Oahu (Hickam) right now.

So my opinion wasn't formed in a vacuum. My family and social circle is littered with active duty and veteran military.

You guys didn't lose anything. Your pay was delayed a couple of cycles. And for this you received thousands of dollars in donations from thankful citizens who gave freely.

That's pretty cool. But now that you're going to get paid and now that you are going to receive back pay, how many of those gift cards and donations are you going to return? I guess now they are just gravy that was stirred up by the media angst over the gov't shutdown?

I guess you could call all the donations a "bonus" on top of the back pay?

I may sound harsh and unappreciative, but that's because those of us in the private sector routinely deal with situations (caused by the gov't) that put our jobs at risk. And we routinely work OT off the clock without pay. And we sometimes don't even get severance when we get laid off...much less time off with back pay...
I understand what you are saying, not arguing one bit I guarantee there are people that took advantage of the good nature of the community however hopefully a very small amount. To answer your question I didn’t not ask for not receive any hand outs. Not trying to get in a pi$$ing contest with you.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I happen to know a young CG type that is 100% disabled and fully retired (with a Purple Heart).. He'd give anything to be able to return to active duty.... Fortunately his retirement pay and social security weren't included in the shutdown....

1 - 20 of 64 Posts