Patching small holes and gel coat

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by DavidIvey, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Looking for some help on how to fill/patch some 1/4" holes on my parents old boat. I removed the side rails and am remounting the trolling motor. So in order for the boat to look its best I need to fix these holes.

Any help, links to a kit or how to would be greatly appreciated!!!!

[​IMG]

2. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

I used white gel coat with wax added, ( I was told if you use wax added gel coat it sticks better) sienna tint for color match and cabosil to thicken. Then sanded from 200 -1500 then buffed. Looks like brand new. Tint the color then add cabosil before adding hardener. Getting the color correct was the hardest part. I have some photos in a thread somewhere here. Good luck it is very rewarding.

3. jaythefisherman

jaythefisherman I Love microskiff.com!

the wax doesnt make it stick better, but it purpose is to aid in sanding and not drying tacky/sticky, gelcoat is desiged to be sprayed against a mold and remain tacky for successive layers of glass , ie woven roving ,matt, cloth stitchmat etc, so always put a 'sanding solution' in it you can order it or some plastic places sell it like advanced plastics and it will be much easier to sand! :D

4. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

gel coat - there's 2 types
    laminating and "air dry"

laminating gel,it requies either a wax additive added to it,or,after it's applied,sprayed with PVA - that type gel coat,it will not fully kick,when exposed to the atmosphere...

"air dry gel" it has a wax additive added to it,it will fully kick,when exposed to the atmosphere...

adding a wax,isn't a "sanding aid"...

5. cvilt

I cant tell you why but it worked great :cool:

6. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

nice !!!!

it worked well,due to the fact it had a wax in it !!

good for you !!

where's the pictures ?

7. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Uhm, they sell wax to be mixed into gelcoat with no wax, and it's labeled "Sanding Aid". It allows the gelcoat to fully cure without it staying tacky.

Or you can just buy gelcoat with wax already in it.

So buddy wasn't too wrong. The actual label of said wax says "Sanding Aid" large across it.

8. cvilt

I post :Ded pics here a while back if I can find the thread I will post it. Since using the wax added I didnt think I would have to wax those spots ever again

9. cvilt

Here are some photos of repairs I did. They are a little tough to compare before and after
    http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/user/curt5962/media/Gelcoat%20repairs/gelcoatrepairs009.jpg.html?sort=6&o=2#/user/curt5962/media/Gelcoat%20repairs/gelcoatrepairs011.jpg.html?sort=6&o=3&_suid=1361917714845046161532488183565