Panhandle meet up?

Discussion in 'Florida Gulf Coast' started by CPurvis, Mar 26, 2018.

1. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

Ok so I have been seeing an influx of microskiffs in the area and I was thinking that a panhandle meet up is long over due. We had tried to do one before but it never happened. So I say let's try it again! It will be a good chance to meet one another and swap stories and ideas. It is also a good way to set up a network of people in those times of trouble (such as engine problems while out on the water). Hopefully we can end up making this a regular thing and move the location around which will give everyone a chance to fish outside their normal fishing grounds with people that know the area. If anyone is interested shout out some ideas and dates and I will put something together.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Heat_PCB

Heat_PCB Well-Known Member

Any weekend except this next weekend and I can make a Panama City meet up. Lynn haven boat ramp has tons of space to meet pre-launch, or shell island after fishing? Not picky on location or times, sounds like fun.

CPurvis likes this.

3. TimPappy

TimPappy Active Member

Hello, I'll use this thread to introduce myself. I live on Crooked Cr. West Bay and am a transplanted Oklahoman bass fisherman (25 yrs of tournament fishing). Last yr. was my first experience with flats boats etc.... I ran a BT Vengeance and figured out how to catch reds pretty good. Sold that boat and have a BT Mosquito on order for end of April. I made the mistake of buying a fly rod or 2 and am now hooked. Would love to meet some of you and once my boat gets here happy to get together and fish. I'm convinced I will catch my first Tarpon on fly once that starts happening here.

Best, Tim

4. Heat_PCB

Heat_PCB Well-Known Member

Tim, my fishing buddy lives in Burnt Mill...he'll be gone for the next month, so I've got an open boat as well. I also fish a BT mosquito, blue hull. Shoot me a PM if you want to fish sometime, this week looks a little windy to break out the fly rods, but early next week looks great and I'm on vacation from work.

5. TimPappy

TimPappy Active Member

Hey, sounds good...I have to work during the week (work out of the house)...so I'm relegated to weekends. Just holler if you have an open spot! I'll pm you my#.

thanks, Tim

Heat_PCB likes this.
  6. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

I would love to do a meet up to and like @CPurvis said maybe we can do this regularly and move them around. I live in Destin and like Shell Island, Crab Island or one of the many waterfront restaurants here in Destin would be a great place to meet up in the afternoon after fishing. It would be cool to see a bunch of skiffs lined up and people could check them out. And we would be like, "don't be hating, you can be cool too."

CPurvis and Heat_PCB like this.
  7. TimPappy

TimPappy Active Member

LOL

8. CPurvis

I always have an open bow as well. The bow is not a BT or Eastcape caliber bow but you could pitch a fly off of it. LOL Just let me know.

9. CPurvis

Cool! I was thinking about Bailey bridge bit it get super crowded on the weekends. Although that does create free entertainment.
    Also Padre and I were tossing around May 12 for a more formal meet up date. But I'm always down to fish. I have a pretty flexible schedule I can fish during the week and most weekends.

10. TimPappy

TimPappy Active Member

Hey, any bow is a good bow! ...or platform for that matter. I need to learn the art of poling...last yr. was lazy and used tm most of the time. My excuse was I went solo...this yr. I'll only tm when it's necessary or to get across a flat.

CPurvis likes this.
  11. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

Here is a good video for learning to push pole:

Flatbroke426 likes this.
  12. TimPappy

TimPappy Active Member

Ty Padre

Padre likes this.
  13. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

the biggest mistake people make off the bat when they are learning to pole is putting the pole to far out to the side. You generally want to place to pole directly behind the boat even when you want slight turns. The only time to place the pole outside of the stern of the boat is when you are spinning or you need quite a large angle turn.

14. fwbsupermoto

fwbsupermoto Active Member

I grew up fishing lakes and rivers but I am about to get my feet wet on flats fishing and gigging. I am in the middle of finishing a 12' aluminum boat that'll serve the purpose. I would try to be available to meet up (I am in FWB).

15. DeepSouthFly

DeepSouthFly Well-Known Member

I’m from Troy but I’m fishing about every weekend. Just sold our place in PC but we have a place out at Cape San Blas. Day trips aren’t that bad for me so I’ll be down if I’m available the weekend y’all try to set it up.

Flatbroke426 likes this.
  16. CPurvis

So right now I'm thinking about Sat. May 12 meet up at The new boat ramps at Thomas Pilcher park at 331 bridge. Do some fishing and then around noon meet up for lunch, drinks and stories at The Bay restaurant at the south end of the bridge. I chose this location based on it being somewhat centralized for everyone. Plus it offers good skinny water fishing with a nice restaurant with a laid back atmosphere with plenty of dock space. Also Bay baits is right there if needed. Let me know what y'all think.

17. DeepSouthFly

DeepSouthFly Well-Known Member

Talking about over near Santa Rosa?

CPurvis likes this.
  18. Luke Hyder

Luke Hyder Well-Known Member

I would love to meet up and fish. Thomas Pilcher is a really good central location--especially with Hogtown Bayou just a quick run to the west.

CPurvis likes this.
  19. fwbsupermoto

fwbsupermoto Active Member

Guess I'll have to catch the next date. I am TDY to St. Croix for 2 weeks...

CPurvis likes this.
  20. Luke Hyder

Luke Hyder Well-Known Member

@DeepSouthFly how often are you out at Capt San Blas? That's one of my favorite summer locations. I've camped out there multiple times