Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While a panga doesn’t necessarily qualify as a micro they’ve got a following and it looks like Panga Marine in Sarasota is shutting their doors.

It’s being reported on Facebook by a guy who worked there. Any of y’all in Florida heard anything?

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
Yep, it's all over THT. They had no incoming orders and the sales have been dropping in recent years.

I thought they were cool, but they out priced most of us. I read all the time about guys shipping in bare hulls from Mexico for 8-10k shipped for a 22-26ft. They aren't as nice as Panga marine, or Andros, but the price point seems more important in that class of boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
If this is true it is sad but perhaps predictable. The whole idea of a panga from its inception was simplicity and minimal hp.. They seem to have forgotten what they must have known early on and began to build bigger and bigger and fancier and fancier. Their early 18 and 19 boats were beautiful, simple, sea worthy and highly functional(heads and shoulders above Mexico etc.) with low hp. requirements...I believe there is still a sustainable market for this package.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that 18evo would be the cats meow...oh well
That’s what I have. Honestly, if I lived almost anywhere in Florida it would be the absolute best all around boat I could imagine but it simply doesn’t run or float shallow enough for most of where I fish in Texas.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
That’s what I have. Honestly, if I lived almost anywhere in Florida it would be the absolute best all around boat I could imagine but it simply doesn’t run or float shallow enough for most of where I fish in Texas.
I have the 18.5 rolled gunnel CC with a 70 Suzuki...light, shallow and able in big water. Love the boat. It floats shallow 8-10 and sips fuel. Beach it, run it off shore on a nice day and fishes dang shallow. I've run it across Charlotte Harbor and come home in heavy chop and a following sea and never been concerned. Great boat..great model. they should go back to their roots.

I was out today and two people yelled..beautiful boat. It just is!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My Evo needs an honest 10” to pole it and in most of Texas if you’re not a sub-8” poling draft you’re out of the game unless you can wade.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great all around boat and my family loves it but there’s a reason I’m working on rebuilding a 15’ micro.

Reactions: mangoman
G

·
While a panga doesn’t necessarily qualify as a micro they’ve got a following and it looks like Panga Marine in Sarasota is shutting their doors.

It’s being reported on Facebook by a guy who worked there. Any of y’all in Florida heard anything?
A real shame. The crew at Panga Marine seemed like great people.

G

·
I really want a tiller 18. Finding a used one is tough. I wish someone would keep the same beam and shrink it to 16.5. User DeerFly had my favorite 18 and used to post. G8rfly has a droolworthy 18 as well
Well maybe a certain up and coming boat works company will tool up for a 16-18’ minimalist ultra light panga in the near future? Let me get my design out there and if there is enough interest I’ll build a few pangas for the market.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have the 18.5 rolled gunnel CC with a 70 Suzuki...light, shallow and able in big water. Love the boat. It floats shallow 8-10 and sips fuel. Beach it, run it off shore on a nice day and fishes dang shallow. I've run it across Charlotte Harbor and come home in heavy chop and a following sea and never been concerned. Great boat..great model. they should go back to their roots.

I was out today and two people yelled..beautiful boat. It just is!
They really do have aesthetic lines. I've always like the look of them.

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
The problem with the smaller panga is they don't perform like the original larger designs. I always wondered why they really didn't make them shorter then 18ft, until I saw one and realized how the scale down would effect it. A panga is supposed to be a long narrow knife cutting efficiently through the water. Making them longer makes them run better, but shortening one without dramatically shrinking the beam just kills the efficiency. Shrinking the beam to make it work will make it tippy and draft more.
Basically I think there are plenty of better designs out there for the 17ft and under class.

Now if someone could make a decent budget version like they do in mexico, with just a little better finish, then they would do well. Say a 22-24fter rigged simple, and packaged around 30k would be great and on par with some other budget boats.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
Well maybe a certain up and coming boat works company will tool up for a 16-18’ minimalist ultra light panga in the near future? Let me get my design out there and if there is enough interest I’ll build a few pangas for the market.
the original designs where put out by the world bank and are available for free. However I think Firecat is correct about cutting the length and losing the effiency of the hull. I tested a 16 ft Panga.com hull and it was wrong for anything other than a tender or small water.

The Panga marine hull is far more complicated than the traditional boats and probably too expensive to produce for a small simple skiff with today's material costs thus their move to higher end custom boats.

G

·
Camp, I would most likely stick to what has worked if I did it. I would only do to put a skiff out there that you folks want and it would have to function properly so I would not re invent the panga in any ways. If 18’ is shortest you can get while keeping it right then 18’ it is lol!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
My uncle's 18 performs very well for what it is he has 3 grandkids and it's basically a water bus to get to the beach and back safely. You would not want to pole it for very long as the high bow is a major wind catcher. But it's a very stable fishing platform.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's a bummer that PM is closing. They seemed to fill a nice niche of mid-range pangas with superior build quality to the South American hulls, but not the high price tag of the Andros boats.

I've been on Finns 18 Evo, and have a 19' Mimsa from Mexico. Very similar boats in length, but pretty different in performance. The Evo has more beam, some deadrise at the stern, and head and shoulders better build quality, fit, and finish. My Mimsa is narrower, flatter at the back, and was very cheaply built. The Evo rides better, but draws more water on the pole.

There's still a few other American panga options out there.
It looks like Andros spun off their smaller models into a company called Abaco Skiff co, who is make them more production style and less custom. Not sure if the price was lowered much or not.

Pelagic hybrids is making a 20' and 26' hulls. The guy who was importing Mimsas wasn't happy with the quality coming out of the shop in Mexico and started building hulls somewhere in Florida.

Slayer skiffs has the old Angler panga molds (not a micro or skiff really) and I beleive they're still building a few of them. It's a 26' boat with some serious dead rise at the stern.

Tom Mitzlaff was working on a 20'er that was supposed to come out middle of this year. Not sure what happened, and why that project petered out.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
I really like them, I was honestly considering one of the 22' with a tower for when the wife and I have a family. I hope Andros can keep the doors open.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts