Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
To add to the above, my rides (2 a year for 8 years) were on Whale Watching trips out of Guerrero N.e.g.r.o, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Those boats packed 8 passengers - 4 rows of 2 abreast, plus skipper each and I was highly impressed with them. Most were tiller steered 115 hp boats and handled the load very well - sometimes in very choppy water and were plenty fast. Skipper stood behind a small center console right in front of the motor.

Premium Member
2017 HB Guide 2013 Skeeter SX240
I dug out some of my old pictures and the Pangas Were narrower than I recalled. Sorry 'bout that. Riding in them, they seemed much larger.....and it's been 15 years ago. Good excuses, eh ?? 馃槖
I'm like you @Gogittum . That picture of Mimi and the gkids made me go back and look at the full pic. I've never been in one. Had no idea they were that narrow. They are very cool boats.

Panhandler
Believe Yamaha was behind the original panga design. The narrow beam and pad made them fuel efficient and a perfect platform to sell Enduro outboards. I've been 40 miles off the coast of Venezuela billftshing right next to artisanal fisherman in a 24-footer with tiller steer. They are a staple throughout Mexico, central America and parts of the Caribbean. Backcountry got a sweet deal for its intended use and the perfect complement to his skiff.

Registered
Can't resist it - here's a pic of a couple of the boats at Guerrero N e g r o. Pretty sure they were 22 ft. -

Water Boat Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft

I think the American made boats have far better fit & finish, but these boats were very basic and rugged - made for utility, not pretty. They are everywhere down there.

They supplied raincoats and life jackets. February in Baja, even half way down can be quite cold and protection is very necessary.

Premium Member
2017 HB Guide 2013 Skeeter SX240
Can't resist it - here's a pic of a couple of the boats at Guerrero N e g r o. Pretty sure they were 22 ft. -

View attachment 183492

I think the American made boats have far better fit & finish, but these boats were very basic and rugged - made for utility, not pretty. They are everywhere down there.

They supplied raincoats and life jackets. February in Baja, even half way down can be quite cold and protection is very necessary.

View attachment 183492

Gotta give it to them. I've seen them out 40-50 miles while marlin fishing off Costa Rica, Mexico and elsewhere. They're workhorses.

Registered
Contrary to popular belief, the small and humble panga wasn鈥檛 made by Yamaha's engineers first. In reality. It was Mexican president Luis Echeverria's decree to build pangas throughout the country. In the 1970s, the World Bank financed the development of these boats and partnered with Mexican builders. This allows for collaboration on improving the engine and design of the boats.

Registered
I grew up on the Oregon coast. we used dories the way the 3rd world uses pangas. you would see old wood dories, many from the 1930's and 40's way offshore fishing for salmon. most commercial fishermen there got their 1st deckhand job in a dory.

Registered
Wasn't those double ended dorys ? I believe Mac Shroyer also had a boat designed around 1970 its said he actually had the drawings in 1968 ,i believe his story cause the possibility of shipping fish to USA on ice was a great business opportunity they just needed better boats so he seen the opportunity being a savy business man and drew up his own design 馃憤

Registered
many were double ended. some not.

Backcountry, sorry about the right turn with your thread.

Registered
馃憤 hes pretty much got his answer, needs to see if he can see the information tag on tank through the inspection hole ,sometimes you can stick your phone in these tight places and snap a picture to read it,if not pump her dry and fill her up 馃憤馃槑 read what pump says 馃槈 probably subtract a gallon for whats in fill hose to have correct gallons...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts