Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
16 and this is my first year on fly so kinda new to this but I've been going out every morning in search of some migratory tarpon. Ive seen a couple small schools but for most of the day its pretty empty I was hoping to find advice on where to anchor up and wait on them. Please help me out I'm trying to have some success before the next 180 days without the beautiful giants.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Oliver
There are a couple of problems with your request.
1. Tarpon are without a doubt the fish guys are least likely to help out another angler with. They are already hard to feed with all the pressure they get.
2. It doesn't go over well when the first post a guy puts up on a forum is looking for a fishing spot.

I don't know anything about PCB so couldn't help you anyway. What I would suggest is to find some local guys (hang out in local fishing shops and spend a little money to support the business). Check if there are any local fly fishing clubs. Gonna be a better bet than asking on an open forum.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction,

Steve

·
Registered
399 Posts
You said you found some fish already so I would say stick close to the area you're looking in. Pay attention to a few things next time you see fish. Where are they coming from? Which direction, water depth, etc.. and too where are they going? Look at maps to learn about the topography of the area

·
Registered
730 Posts
You said you found some fish already so I would say stick close to the area you're looking in. Pay attention to a few things next time you see fish. Where are they coming from? Which direction, water depth, etc.. and too where are they going? Look at maps to learn about the topography of the area
What Tailwalk said.

You've found some, now try to figure out why. You're putting money in the back and starting to earn interest if you can get an idea at 16.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wish you would remove the spot you mentioned...it's already loaded up with guides every morning. Your in the right spot....Try heading further West to Topsail Point from Crooked if you have the boat that can handle the weather when it changes. You still have a month to catch one =)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I’ve been going further that way every day visibility has been low and l haven’t been able to spot too many fish thanks for the info and good luck out there!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry my request may have sounded confusing but by spot I didn’t mean gps coordinates or even an location in general I meant like where to anchor up as vertical to the spots I have already found. Examples as in the second sandbar, the deeper pockets or the shallower sand flats where they are more visible. Just wondering if there was a commonly known fact of their usual position in relation to the beach while migrating. I have tried anchoring and waiting for them to swim by but when attempted I have never even seen a fish the only luck I’ve had has been running down the beaches spotting them then heading about 2 hundred yards infront and waiting on their arrival where I’ve had multiple fish that seemed interested but never took the fly. I believe I’m putting too much pressure on them using this method so I’d much rather be in a spot where I can anchor up and know that fish will be migration within casting distance instead of having to pull anchor and drive to a different spot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the help, slowly trying to understand the tarpon migration. Hooked one in a kayak last year out of Indian pass and haven’t been able to stop thinking about them since.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oliver, you're not doing anything wrong my man. Couple weeks ago I hooked up on a smaller tarpon inside the cut between Crooked. Few days later I hooked up just on the outside of the cut. Return a few days later and the tarpon swim right by and wave. It's fishing, don't over think it. Head a little further West, anchor up & wait. That area is getting pressured HARD, that's the main thing that's happened over there in the past few years. Just curious, what fly's are you chucking at them? Another option would be to get a guide to help you learn, lord knows there's plenty of those to choose from. Try Capt. Jason Shepard @ www.flytimesfishingcharters.com he's pretty active over there. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oliver, you're not doing anything wrong my man. Couple weeks ago I hooked up on a smaller tarpon inside the cut between Crooked. Few days later I hooked up just on the outside of the cut. Return a few days later and the tarpon swim right by and wave. It's fishing, don't over think it. Head a little further West, anchor up & wait. That area is getting pressured HARD, that's the main thing that's happened over there in the past few years. Just curious, what fly's are you chucking at them? Another option would be to get a guide to help you learn, lord knows there's plenty of those to choose from. Try Capt. Jason Shepard @ www.flytimesfishingcharters.com he's pretty active over there. Good luck!
I’ve been tossing a cockroach on my orvis 12wt

·
Registered
730 Posts
Do you have enough room to use a trolling motor without getting to close to others? I'd do that versus anchor.

To your point on running out ahead on the outboard and shutting down. In my experience 200 yards is too close. I'd give them some more room and use a trolling motor.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,577 Posts
Try big black and purple gator tails. Forget the cockroach

·
Registered
94 Posts
If he doesn't his public relations people surely will.
There not always on top where you can see them, first one I hooked was in 25 feet of water, I was thumping a DOA Terror Eyes on the very bottom. The other suggestion I have is to hire a guide and go out with them and learn all you can. You don't have to take their spot you just learn from them how they decide to go where and when. What they are looking for at different times of day, affects of the tides etc... You may not hook a fish with them but if you pay attention you can learn a great deal in a few hours time. Then go out and find your own spots.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
56 Posts
I believe you're simply asking about the fish migrating down the beach, not the bottleneck further east. Google how to fish beach tarpon and you'll find plenty of information. Hope this helps - like everyone said, no substitute for putting some time in. You'll need to do that regardless of what anyone shares, and it will ultimately be more rewarding.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dont know that area but since you're 16 lemme give you some good advice: get a Roth IRA when you turn 18 and put away money every month in it. Keep this up and by the time you're as old as most of us, you'll have enough $$$ to fish tarpon anywhere in the world. Wish someone woulda told me this 30 years ago...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts