Palm Coast canal snook

Discussion in 'Florida East Coast' started by Preston904, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Preston904

Preston904 Active Member

Heading down to palm coast to try to get some snook, heard they catch them around the bridge as well as throughout the canals this time of year and would love to catch a few.

The water temp is suppose to be in the 70s so hopefully some are up this far.

Anyone have experience catching them in this area?

2. Viking1

Viking1 Well-Known Member

I don't live in the area but have caught snook there. Best places are where there is good current flow like at the intersection of the ICW and the mouth of a canal or where canals intersect. Most of the time they will be under docks waiting to ambush dinner. My favorite lures are a Mirodine with a black or green back and a Z-Man Space Guppy plastic body on a 1/8 oz jig in chartreuse. I put Procure Shrimp scent on the Space Guppy. Good luck and post up some pictures. Be sure to stop by Captains BBQ at Bings Landing boat ramp and save room for their cheese cake. They make it there and is some of the best in Florida.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

3. Breeze

Breeze Well-Known Member

Last weekend the water was only 66 degrees up on the flats??? Maybe the canals are a little warmer in deep water??? Good luck

4. Preston904

Preston904 Active Member

66 degrees! I was out on saturday and I was seeing 71 degrees in the canals and 72 on the flats. It was 80ish degrees out that day.

5. dbrady784

dbrady784 Well-Known Member

Snook do live in the canals, but also in some of the creeks. If you fish in pellicer creek, launching out of favre dykes puts you right in the creek, you can catch fairly nice snook. I caught this snook last december. Good luck

IMG_3730.JPG

Preston904 likes this.
  6. Preston904

Preston904 Active Member

Well hopefully i'll have some luck next time I make a trip down there.
    Takes awhile to load up and drive down from Jax, plus the boats in palatka so I have to go there first.
    Will be trying again though, never caught a snook before!

7. Breeze

Breeze Well-Known Member

I've been out of Bings the last two weekends. I haven't seen any water warmer than 68 degrees??? Maybe my gauge doesn't work??? Lots of smaller trout in the creeks and some nice reds on the flats. It think it's still a little cold for the snook. Just my opinion???

8. dbrady784

dbrady784 Well-Known Member

If you really want snook i would try just a little further south at a ramp called highbridge. in my opinion the snook are more plentiful there. Its a very fishy place and on low tides can be extremely low... Good luck post pictures when you nab your first snook

Preston904 likes this.
  9. Preston904

Preston904 Active Member

I haven't been down there since my one trip but I checked water temps on tides4fishing and they were similar to what I was seeing on my GPS. Hard to tell if it's off unless you take a thermometer with you though. 68 does sound cool for them I think though.

10. Preston904

Preston904 Active Member

Hopefully this summer I can take a trip to go find one!

11. bananabob

bananabob I Love microskiff.com!

I've heard Sebastian has been on fire this late winter already and heading into spring. Caught a few shorts in the surf on finger mullet in Cocoa Beach too.
    Soon as it warms up again I'll be at the beach.

yobata likes this.