Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a solid answer on this when I did a quick search, but can you paint an above deck gas tank? I mean I know I can physically, but is it legal to do so? They make them red to differentiate them from below tanks, and I'm guessing to add some UV protection to the plastic, but is it a legal requirement for them to stay red?

One end of my tank will be seen and exposed to sun on my boat. If it's acceptable to do so painting would both make it less obvious, and keep it from turning pink in a month.

B

·
0 Posts
Not sure about the legalities of it, but if you do use a plastic adhesion promoter before ya paint. It’s available in an aerosol can and you just clean the surface the spray the promoter on allow to dry according to directions then prime/paint!

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good idea. I was wondering if they had a product like that to go with fusion.

B

·
0 Posts
TSC here has it on the shelf. I won’t paint plastic without it ever again. It’s cheap and very effective. Honestly, it’s just some “hot” solvents mixed at the right proportions but I am no chemist and for the price it just works.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. It needs to. That's part of the point of the plastic specific paints. They have flex agents in them to help. I'm also hoping the tank won't baloon as badly being hidden more from the sun and painted a lighter color, but who knows with these new epa tanks.

If all else fails I will get a some permeable sun fabric and make a partial cover.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about that, but if memory serves they are only permitted for diesel use under current regs. And you need a very specific resin to survive against ethanol. I use E10 in all my motors so this is the better way to go for now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
I didn't see a solid answer on this when I did a quick search, but can you paint an above deck gas tank? I mean I know I can physically, but is it legal to do so? They make them red to differentiate them from below tanks, and I'm guessing to add some UV protection to the plastic, but is it a legal requirement for them to stay red?

One end of my tank will be seen and exposed to sun on my boat. If it's acceptable to do so painting would both make it less obvious, and keep it from turning pink in a month.
They make camo fuel tank covers, which obviously covers up the red. I would imagine that if those are legal, painting one would also be ok??

·
Brandon, FL
10,088 Posts
I don't believe there is a law concerning painting cans. Mine has been painted camo for years in my duck boat and been checked many times.

They make the different color cans for different fuels. Yellow is for diesel/kerosene so you don't have residual gas in the can when you fill a kerosene heater.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I think I'm going to go with an off white to match the nonskid.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
Thanks, I think I'm going to go with an off white to match the nonskid.
I'm a little curious about your painting process on that type of plastic and how you will keep it from scratching/chipping off, especially with the movement of these ballooning tanks

B

·
0 Posts
Get some raptor liner tinted to the color you want and prep properly. It will flex pretty good!

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I see it right now I'll scrub the tank with dawn and hot water, sand with 220grit, scrub again, wipe down with alcohol, apply adhesion promoter, then spray on some krylon fusion.

I've painted coolers and chairs before that were tossed around for a few years without issue. The only are that might get scratched is the bottom, which will be protected by seadek pads, and around the straps, but we will see. If it works great, if not that's ok too, I'll move on and get a pillow case, lol.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,650 Posts
I don't know about the CG regs, but what about making an aluminum external tank? If it were classified as "portable", I would think you could just build one and use whatever cap is required so that you don't have to have an external vent, then you can powdercoat or paint however you want.

There might be too many legal loopholes for that, or you might actually plan to remove the tank fairly often, but I like the idea of an aluminum tank that can be made to fit the exact space you want, but with the fill/cap/vent fully contained on the tank.

·
Brandon, FL
10,088 Posts
As I see it right now I'll scrub the tank with dawn and hot water, sand with 220grit, scrub again, wipe down with alcohol, apply adhesion promoter, then spray on some krylon fusion.

I've painted coolers and chairs before that were tossed around for a few years without issue. The only are that might get scratched is the bottom, which will be protected by seadek pads, and around the straps, but we will see. If it works great, if not that's ok too, I'll move on and get a pillow case, lol.
Your process is sound except for sanding. Use an abrasive scrub like barkeepers friend and add a bit of sand and use scuff pad. Sand paper will only hit the high spots.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already built the console to match this tank, and I'm not willing to spend any more on one. When I priced them out it was in the $400 range for a similar style. The vent is a non issue as I explained in the build thread, I made sure this meets regs with the open area. This isn't a huge deal, I might choose to not paint it at all once it's in, just thinking ahead a bit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I already built the console to match this tank, and I'm not willing to spend any more on one. When I priced them out it was in the $400 range for a similar style. The vent is a non issue as I explained in the build thread, I made sure this meets regs with the open area. This isn't a huge deal, I might choose to not paint it at all once it's in, just thinking ahead a bit.
I would skip the paint job. Seems like a lot of effort for something that you won’t even think about once you’re fishing. If you do and it starts peeling, it will drive you crazy.

·
Banned
276 Posts

Denatured alcohol will leave residue. Use isopropyl. Check the adhesion promoter, too. Some are not compatible with alcohols.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts