Painting/Coating a new Aluminum Trailer - Mistake, or Not?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by paint it black, Jun 21, 2010.

1. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Hey guys.
    Before I bought my Float-On I had asked my buddy over at All Star trailers if he can make me a black aluminum trailer.
    He said it wasn't worth doing.
    I thought about having it built, taking it apart and getting it powder coated.
    Then putting it back together.
    I have seriously thought about doing this to my Float-On but I don't know if I should even bother.

I love the look of a black trailer, and think it'll look slick with my black skiff.

I might just go ahead and do the trim on it (fenders, wheels, winch stand, etc).

I'm just a big fan of EVERYTHING black....lol
    My truck is black, my wheels are black, my tail lights are black, my interior is black.
    My Impala is also black, as well as the wheels and tail lights. lol

Heck, I painted my fly reel black....

What's your opinion?

I figure I can just spend the cash it'll take into powder coating the trailer rails into the skiff itself.
    I still want to get a casting platform, yeti cooler, gps, seadek, etc.
    But this will be in the future.

2. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i hate to sound negative but i'd get use to it the way it is, imo powder coating will not last that long as surfaces rubbing each other will allow salt to penetrate then corrosion sets in and there goes your coating :( the paint process might be easier and in the end more feasible for you to do seeing as how your a painter....will make touch ups easier for you but will most likely be a continuous maintenance issue that will undoubtly interfere with your fishing schedule :eek: i do like the look of black though and think it would look sharp with your set up :cool:

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Aluminum is self protecting as long as it is exposed to air. If you paint/powder coat it and there becomes a crack in the covering and salt water gets in the aluminum will corrode. Don't do it.

4. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

That's what I figured...
    Just wanted others opinions.

I guess I'll go ahead and just paint the wheels and maybe fenders and some of the trim on it.

5. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

your set up looks sick as is get the extras :)

6. SrqFlats

SrqFlats I Love microskiff.com!

You could always get it anodized if you had the money and could find someone that had a big enough tank to put it in.

7. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

where i used to work we would have ameritrail trailers come in that were powdercoated. the problem is the stainless steel fastners on the aluminum create electrolysis which in turn bubbles the powdercoat. then it looks like crud. what u need to do is polish then clear coat the whole trailer. i did it on my race boat trailer. it blings like crazy lol the whole boat ramp looks when i launch. and it looks good with black. oh theres a rolling stones song called paint it black lol :)