Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CD96FABD-24A8-4D5A-9AD2-0005A2862420.jpeg
I have a 18ft Jon boat that I’m trying to turn into a flats skiff.
Right now it’s green/black camo color. The problem is that it gets really hot while in the sun, and it just doesn’t look good. So I’m trying to paint it.
I’m new to this and wanted to get some guidance on how to paint it. How should I go about painting a boat? And what kinds of paint should I use? Thanks

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The most economical way would be, lightly sand, blow off dust, wipe down with denatured alcohol ,roll on Rustoleum marine paint primer and finish with a lighter color Rustoleum marine paint. If you want to leave the the boat in the water a few days, you'll have to go with a 2 part paint below the waterline.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
I just walked in for a beer, have been prepping my jon this morning. In the 90's here today...again! I'm doing only the inside, that is good info suggested by bassflats.

I'm using a ppg agriculture flat paint, etcher for raw metal, ppg primer. The rustoleum is probably way more economical than the ppg and probably just as good.

I'm lucky to have three orbital sanders, two air, large and small, one electric in the shop. Has really helped cleaning the old glue off where the carpet got done away with. There really ought to be a better seat and floor covering.

I used ppg on suggestion from the shop that set up the jet and installed extra storage boxes and hatches.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Get the dust cleaned off as soon as you get done sanding and get a primer coat on right away. Aluminum begins to oxidize immediately after being introduced to the air and paint won’t stick to oxidized aluminum. It’s a very common mistake.
I did TuffCoat inside and decks and Tasca Urethane on the outside with GatorGlide G4 on the bottom of my aluminum boat. Loved it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
Dang! It's HOT in the yard! Well, after reading the etching label, I'm taking it back and using plain old lacquer thinner. That special etcher is toxic as hell. Does that sound workable?

I have sanded everything, left the old paint but have two hatches that are bare metal.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
It's always good to ask someone that knows...called the auto paint shop that supplies this end of the mountains. Glad I did. Good point about quick application of primer smackdaddy.

Shop explained how to use the etching wash, I asked if rubber gloves would work for 20sq/ft, "yes but throw them away after, they're done."

This stuff is pretty hard on the skin and lungs! And don't be smoke'n! Beer drinking allowed, without no sparks. Water hose is hooked up, maybe pull it down in the field next to the well house, don't want to ruin my new white house paint job, haha.

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
The easy way to paint a tinny is to power wash it. Then mix up a bucket of HOT water with TSP in it and wash it well. The TSP will remove all the grease and oils, etch the paint and loosen any loose paint. Then pressure wash it again and let it dry. Then use an oil paint - I use Jack Tar duck skiff paint (This is OEM for most mfg'ers). I bought a gallon last month for a whole $28.

No matter what paint you use the suns rays are going to heat up the aluminum. If you want to cool walking surfaces then apply an RV roof coating. The stuff is light and filled with air bubbles so the rays don't heat the substrate as bad. The key is to have the metal and the surface apart from each other. Even if it is mils thick, the further the better. 1/8th inch is miles better than the thickness of paint.

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
I just walked in for a beer, have been prepping my jon this morning. In the 90's here today...again! I'm doing only the inside, that is good info suggested by bassflats.

I'm using a ppg agriculture flat paint, etcher for raw metal, ppg primer. The rustoleum is probably way more economical than the ppg and probably just as good.

I'm lucky to have three orbital sanders, two air, large and small, one electric in the shop. Has really helped cleaning the old glue off where the carpet got done away with. There really ought to be a better seat and floor covering.

I used ppg on suggestion from the shop that set up the jet and installed extra storage boxes and hatches.
Are you and Jackson the same person? Or did you hijack his thread?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts