Over-sized Torsion Axle?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by MariettaMike, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

My trailer is rated for 1500# and thats about the right total weight for my rig. My current torsion axle has a bad negative camber and is wearing the tires on the inside.

I have an opportunity to get a new 3500# Henchen axle for the same price as any lesser rated axle. ( It's in stock and the right size)

I've had one guy tell me that the weight ratings for torsion axles are not proportional to their shock absorption capabilities and my boat will never know the difference. Then another tells me that "It would be like putting egg shells in the back of a pick-up truck."

Should I order a 1500# axle and wait or go with the 3500# now?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

If it was me, I'd contact the axle manufacturer directly and ask.
    I've heard of de-rating a torsion axle to fit the load, but know little about it.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

From what I've seen most any type axle, with exception to air ride type stuff, has a similar linear compression. That being said I think a 3500lbs axle under a 1500lbs (I assume it's really lighter then this) boat will be a stiff and rough ride for your boat.

4. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

How old is your current axle? If not old then I'd call that maker and discuss with them.

I'd also advise calling the new axle manufacture and asking the question, to many unknowns to make an informed decision.

5. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I tried 3500# axle per the OEM request. As expected it didn't budge with the load of the boat and motor. It also didn't budge going over bumps or RR crossings. The tires and trailer frame took all the shock. It also appears that without the proper load the camber may be a bit positive.

The OEM agreed to order a 1500# axle rating if I wasn't satisfied with the 3500# and I will be doing that.

The up side of this failed experiment is I learned what bracket height and starting angle I want for my new axle. I also learned I don't need the drop center camber that cost extra and snags large road kill.

I'll post before and after pics when I get the new axle installed.