Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I started with. Can't see in the photo but the lower end needed some attention.

Sanding

Washed and degreased followed by alcohol whipe down. Ready to prime.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Using OEM factory urethane paint and clear coat. Sanding with 400 grit paper between clear coats. 2 coats of etching primer, 4 coats of paint and three of clear. Spraying under a uv light to show blemishes. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had to sand down the clear coat and spray the second part to the paint. 2nd part has much more metal flake in it and works better with the urethane clear coat. I should be done this weekend. It's some nice paint.

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,539 Posts
Looks great. Did you wet sand the final clear then compound and polish? Sure looks like you had all your ducks in a row. Great job!

And to add, the worst thing about repainting an outboard is the price they charge you for new decals. It's crazy unless you know a good printing shop..

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I didn't wet sand. I did 3 coats of clear urethane and sanded 600 grit between coats. I have to wait 7 days until the paint cures before I can wax. I didn't paint the cowl it's new.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,820 Posts
looks brand new :cool: good job man :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. The paint is cured and I started buffing out the paint with a compound/cleaner wax and getting excellent shine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts