Outboard problems / Creek rescue!

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by markpriester, Aug 17, 2009.

1. markpriester

markpriester Well-Known Member

Anyone have an Idea what this could be? Had to rescue a friend on the water yesterday. He has an evinrude 30hp 2stk. rope start.

Fires up normal when cold ,runs good just long enough to get him in trouble! After it warms up he only gets about 3/4 throttle then when he shuts it down it wont crank untill it cools all the way down pretty much.

Any Ideas what this might be?I believe his motor is from the late 90s, just tryn to help a brotha out, I know he is getting frustrated.

Thanks Stalker :D

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

overheating maybe? when was the impeller changed?

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

If it is getting fuel, but won't fire then it is possibly the ignition coil / power pack. They will go bad and won't fire when hot, but run perfect when cold. At the OMC school they had trouble shooting competitions. One of the engines was doing just that. One of the other students took a mallet and whacked (fairly hard) the power pack. It started and ran perfect and would no longer shut down in the tank from temp rise. The instructor said "it looks like I will have to find another one with a bad power pack". LOL I don't recommend this method. It could be the power pack though.

If you can run it in a tank and get it to shut down, pull a plugwire and see if it has a "hot blue spark".

Best regards,
    Frank

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Had an old  'rude 140. same problem, ran great cold, once hot wouldn't restart.
    Smack the brainbox, which was located on top of the block,
    with the butt of my fillet knife and she'd start right up.
    Used it that way until I could pay for a new brainbox.
    I did have a 5 hp kicker on the transom, just in case the tap didn't work.

5. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

So Brett, are you saying, if it don't run use a bigger hammer. [smiley=fun_84.gif]

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

First thing ya learn at Redneck Tech....
                                                                 If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!  ;)

Second thing ya learn...
                                         Fix it or fix it so no one else can!   :D

But you'll note that not only was the hammer used, but a second motor was aboard.
    Ever since my adventure in Hell's Bay, I've always had 2 outboards on my boats.

I may not get home fast, but I'll get home.   :cool:

Hell's Bay tale...
    http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220494929/11#11

7. markpriester

markpriester Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys I looked it up and seems like a new coil is about 25 bucks :eek: I will let him know

8. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Try new plugs You may be surprised !

Then Do a compression Check

Then Have a visual done with a boreScope

Then peek into the Exhaust port ...

Flyfisherman just discovered a broken bering and pistom damage ...

Dave